I'm his wife...should it be available to me?

I was wondering if anyone knew if a company's manual should be available to me, as well as him? I'm tired of relying on word of mouth from the union for information, it never seems to be accurate or get us anywhere, so I was wondering if I could go into my husband's company and tell his manager I wanted a copy of the manual to read about benefit policies. My husband just wants to talk to the union, and I'm tired of him beating around the bush with management on this!

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• eugh, unions can get ugly...Yes it should be made available to him at the least...I could understand you not getting it, unless there's some life insurance clause then you should..but if there is any confidential info then just him.
    Anonymous

• I'd try it if I were you and I had questions. All they can do is say no....right.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 1:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Ok, first, step off for a second. :) Said with love. If your husband has a grievance with his work he needs to handle it with the union. He needs to talk to his shop steward and then the union. He should be able to go to HR at the company and get a written employee handbook. He should be able to talk to the union at any time. He should NOT have to go through anyone to get to the union. Not even his shop steward. Now, is he being lazy, or are they being hardheaded?
    What benefit policies are you looking into?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• And no, they don't have to give you anything. :(
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• He should have recieved a copy when he was hired and your husband could ask for a copy and bring one home. they should have thier polies in a written handbook or something for the employees.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You can ask, the worst they can do is say no. But, most places will not just hand their manual to anyone that asks. It can sometimes have confidential information in it, or something that when used by an outside party, could be turned against them. So they generally only give them to employees. But, your hubby can go to HR and ask for one. They can't refuse him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No, they don't have to give it to you, you are not their employee. He should be able to see the handbook though. It should be there for anyone to look at, at anytime. He needs to go back and ask again and if someone refuses him then he needs to go to their supervisor.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009