Moved this over here-the insurance question!! Please help!!

My husband works full time at Safeway. He's been there for 15 months and we STILL don't have our health insurance. When he first started he was told he'd get his insurance in 3 months, but than the manager that told him that transferred and he was told by another manager that he would get it in 12 months. Well, November rolled around and he was told that he wouldn't get health insurance until 15 months (february) and dental in 18...well, its been 15 months and nothing is being done! And thats not all, I have epilepsy and sometimes my husband needs to stay home with me...but now they're saying that he needs a note from my doctor confirming that I need him home! We can't afford that. Hello!! He works at Safeway and we don't have insurance! We can't afford for me to go to the doctor's every time I have seizures!! I get they're running a business but it doesn't seem right they're demanding note without insurance!

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think he needs to look in the handbook and request something in writing about when his insurance will kick in. Can someone else stay home with you when you have seizures? Can you get on disability or medicaid for your condition?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They are probably going by the FMLA. If you are doing FMLA you have to follow all rules or they can terminate. When my family is sick I call in sick or take a vacation day.

Also as PP said check the handbook or notice of employment acceptance. I don't know what safeway is so maybe they don't do letters stating the benefits.

Anonymous

• That is BS. Most companies give you insurance after 3 month. I have heard of some waiting till 6 months, but never 12 months. If he has his employee hand book look in it and see if it says anything. If it does i would fire up on there ass about getting the insurance.This is a terrible way to conduct business.
    Anonymous

• He should be checking with his local human resources department. Those are the proper people to deal with an issue such as this, not his manager. If the local store doesn't have one, there should be a regional office. A manager can't assign or manage benefits. It sounds like his boss hasn't filled out whatever paperwork he's supposed to do and is trying to duck his responsibilities.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• He needs to go to human resources or his shop steward if he's unionized.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Feb. 26, 2009