pain medication during labor

so im sitting in a childbirth class last night and they are going over all our pain medication options they havnt changed since i had my last son 8 years ago but i started to wounder how women in the old days did it with no medication. So then i thought to myself i wounder if EVERY women is capable of having a natural birth with no medication for pain after all millions of women did it befor us. Maybe now days we over use medications like epis because its simply avaible.
what is everyones thought on this?
Dont be rude im not so mommy who is all for natural birth or anything like that. im all for choice im just woundering if you guys think medication is just to simple to get now while in labor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• capable I'm sure, but its what they want to do..
    Anonymous

• im doing it its gonna hurt like hell lol but im doing it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'm going for the epidural.
    Anonymous

• I definitely think every woman is capable and that it is too easy now. If you do the research and decide that the benefits of medication outweigh the risks to mom and baby, then great. But so many of my friends have gotten an epidural without even thinking twice about the effects just because it was available.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i didn't get an epidural because i was terrified of it. i had a panic attack while in labor just thinking about it. i think its cool the way women gave birth. i think birth should be nautral ( but dont quote me on that next time i'm in labor)!
    dreamy_snowball

Answer by dreamy_snowball at 1:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It is too easy to get now and you may have a reaction and need a different drug because of the first drug... NICE!
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 1:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• yeah it is too easy...a lot of women are afraid of pain (me included).
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 1:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am all for natural, think that every women is capable of doing natural, and I think that the medical field makes meds too ready avail. That and women are afraid of pain now days.
    LandonsMa0403

Answer by LandonsMa0403 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I didn't have any pain meds with my first 2. 3rd was emergency C-cection. You can do it if you want to. The calmer and more relaxed you are the less pain.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Pain medication being readily available has changed what birth is meant to be. Women seem to forget that our bodies are MADE to give birth. We are designed to be able to go through birth with no drugs. EVERY women is capable of having a natural birth, and a virtually painless birth, but because of the availability of drugs women don't even look into other options. Nor do they research the risks of drugs during labor either. It's very sad.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009