At what age do you start teaching to tie a shoe???

My DD is probably still young yet I don't know, but I was wanting to know at what age do you start to teach how to tie a shoe?? (she is going to be 4 in April). I also was wanting to know at what age do they learn to start riding a bike without training wheels? I know she is probably to young for that to, but I was just curious?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can always start now. Start with the first step - the half-hitch before the "bow" part. Show her how to cross the laces to make an "X", how to wrap one of the laces through the bottom of the "X", and how to snug it tight. Then you can take over for the bow. Once she's a pro at that, add in the bow.
    There are lots of rhymes and little stories to help kids remember the steps. The simplest I've found is "over, under, around, and through" but it might not give enough info for a young child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• As with anything most children learn at different rates. I have met a 4 year old who could tie his own shoes but I have also met a 7 year old who was just beginning to learn how to tie your own shoes. Same with riding a bike with no training wheels. My son learned how to before he was 4 but I didn't learn how to until I was about 6 years old. The only way to know if your daughter is ready or not is if she is showing an interest then to try.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I'm going to start teaching my 5 year old how to tie a shoe. I don't know how old they "should" be but his fine motor skills have just finally developed enough so I think he can actually do it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2009