• In the Spotlight:

Im 23 weeks pregnant and cannot sleep through the night anymore, what can I do?

When I go to bed I'll fall asleep for like an hour at most then wake up again and it takes about another hour for me to fall back asleep. I also used to be a really heavy sleeper and now the smallest of noises wake me up; am I getting some kind of motherly instinct?

Breezy1988

Asked by Breezy1988 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dont take any medication with out talking to your dr first every dr has a different view on whats safe to take and whats not. its your bodys way of getting ready for those sleepless nights and since you arnt very far along yet you can expect your sleep pattern to get worse befor it gets better. im with you now im 31weeks and havnt been able to sleep through the night since about 25wks at first it was waking to pee and then coulnt go back to sleep now im just so huge i cant get comfy and i have to pee every friggen hour and baby is always kicken me lol. just try and nap through the day if you can and remmeber in the end its all worth it.
    Anonymous

• Do calming things before bed (bath, read) and then take a tylenol PM. Other than that, unfortunately, sleeplessness is part of being pregnant - sorry!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes. This is a normal part of pregnancy. It will be really helpful to have gone through this when you have a newborn. To help you can find a calming activity to do for 30 minutes when you wake up before you lay back down. You can try not drinking a lot of fluids right before bed. It's best not to lay awake though because it makes it worse. Get up and do something for a little while then try to go back to sleep.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Your body is getting ready for sleepless nights :) It started happening to me almost 2 months ago, I am glad for it, cause I'll be adjusted by the time baby comes.
    Anonymous

• you can try tylenol pm or ask your dr i know ambian (SP?) is safe for pregnancy
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i would not take ANYTHING as far as meds to make you fall asleep. that is not good for your baby. i remember those days, and they will pass, you just have to tough them out. try music or tv? i woke up every 1 1/2 to pee and i remember how relieved i was when my baby girl was born, because i could get 3 hours of sleep! it is just your body preparing you for when the baby arrives.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 1:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My doctor ended up prescribing me some Benadryl, but I only take it on days where I'm so worn on I can't concentrate or keep my eyes open anymore. I'm about 37 weeks now and I've been like that since 20 or so weeks. Sad to say, it doesn't go away.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I used to drink non-caff tea. It's a nice way to wind down.
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 2:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It's fine, and yes, I do think it is instinct kicking in personally. The fact that you sleep lighter, and all, that helps for co-sleeping (whether you choose to or not), because back in the day most women used to co-sleep. (before cradles, like when we were just starting out)
    I really do think it is co-sleeping instinct.
    BTW, men don't have it (or most don't) if co-sleeping, don't let lil' ones sleep near daddy
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I haven't slept through the night in about two to three months... and I am only 20 weeks preg.

sigh.. mostly i have to go potty... I try not to drink water befor ebed but my throat is just soooo dry for some reason...

I have also been sleeping lighter and dreaming a ton. I drink sleepytime tea with milk in it... it calms me down...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009