Should the Federal Govt be promoting marriage?

Do you think it is appropriate for the Feds to be spending money to encourage people to get married?

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/1446134,CST-NWS-marriage24.article

Friday

Asked by Friday at 1:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hell Yeah!
    Anonymous

• Marriage is healthy for people. Married people live longer are healthier and happier and stay healthier longer. Marriage is good for society because two parent homes are better for happy and healthy kids . So yes, it does the federal government good if more people are in a healthy family unit. Society benefits from healthy marriages and two parent homes. (no attacks, this is a broad generality and does not fit every situation)
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• No, but I can see why they would do it. The belief that marriage would bring home buying, stability, investment, work and retirement savings, and children. The government has no business in a marriage other than the issuing of license or granting of divorce decrees, enforcing child support. Marriage I think is a religious ceremony and a choice.

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes. Why not?
    Anonymous

• They are stinking their will every where else where it doesn't belong why not? It doesn't matter whether we like it or not.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 1:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Avoiding the whole issue of who is and is not allowed to get married - yes, being married is typically more financially stable than not. I wouldn't encourage marriage for the sake of marriage, but in cases where people have been putting it off just because it's not convenient, it's not a bad time to go ahead and get married for the financial benefits.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't see the need to spend that kind of money on things like that right now. Marriage isn't always the right choice in some relationships and this may backfire. I would be more supportive of it if it were to promote healthy relationships, not just marriage.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• yes -
    Anonymous

• No, because they are encouraging straight couples to get married while telling gay couples they can't. It just brings the discrimination that much more into the spotlight and makes the gov't look even worse.
    Anonymous

• No. Marriage is meaningless to so many it is a lost cause now. I am happily married and my son benefits from that. I feel for the scores of kids raised in single parent households and have to go back and forth to see their dads or have moms who don't allow them to see their dads. I know some are creeps but the mom picked them how much better can she really be. Kids deserve a mom and dad who love each other and created them in a loving marriage. They deserve parents who made sure they had their finances in order before creating them. Most kids sadly do not get what they deserve.

Anonymous