not sleeping

my 18 month old has never had a problem with naps or going to bed at night. all of the sudden she is screaming when you put her to bed. i mean just not a little bit. i mean screaming for an hour and a half if not more. my husband has to go in and rock her at night. at less than a year old we did "cry it out" and it worked awesome. longest time was 36 minutes. i have been going in every 10 to 15 minutes, but she will not stop the screaming. what happened? why is she not going to bed? she sleeps like 10 t0 12 hours at night and used to take a 1 to 2 hour nap. if she didnt sleep she at least would lay in there and rest. not anymore. i just want to cry myself !!!

lilredsfrm67

Asked by lilredsfrm67 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter went through the same thing. She did great with "crying it out". But she was about 18 months to 2 yrs when she all of a sudden started screaming and waking up screaming. They say that kids start to dream more at this age. My daughter was never afraid of the dark. But now she has to have the light on inorder for her to go into any room. She is 2 1/2, and I need to lie by her bed and she holds my hand to go to sleep. Even then she usually ends up coming into my bed around 2-4am simply because she is scared. Don't worry, it is frustrating, but will get better. Try using a nightlight, and maybe get her used to laying down while you read her a story. It has worked great for my little one, it calms her down each night before we turn off the lights. Best of luck!!
    angel012682

Answer by angel012682 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• What's your pre-bed routine like? Is she still taking a nap during the day? If she's not napping during the day, part of the problem may be that she's overtired and you need to compensate for the lack of nap by putting her to bed early.
    This is what I've been doing with my 27 mos old twins for the past 10 mos or so: right after dinner they have a bath, get into pj's and play quietly with daddy and/or watch a little tv. At 7p.m. we say "time to brush teeth". We take them to the bathroom, brush teeth, change into an overnight diaper, and put them in their cribs. I read three books to them then hugs, kisses, turn on the white noise, turn off the light and go. I too did CIO according to Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. You may also wish to try the No Cry Sleep Solution. I don't know much about it but I believe it involves checking on the child in increments, rubbing the back, etc. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Same here w/ my twins. I started to play soft music and rain sounds in their room every night , that helped alot :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009