Advice on at home exercise....

Does anyone have any good ways to make exercise a part of your day at home? I can not afford a membership anywhere and there isn't a sidewalk where I live - plus with a baby and 2 SKs I need something I can do in the house. I know cardio would be the best thing to lose weight, but I figure if I can start doing a little at a time it would help. Thanks!

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You can work out without spending any money at all, and get the same effects that some fancy home gym or bike or treadmill would give.

First, find some music that you like, and a timer that will let you set it for 20 minutes. Make sure the little ones are safe and out of the way (napping, at a playdate, or in the playpen). Get two ordinary cans of ANYTHING from the cupboard. The size can I mean, is the size that you can comfortably close your hand round. Put on a tee shirt and shorts or sweats, good socks, and good sneakers/trainers.

Set the timer and turn on the music.
    1 minute "split stretch" on the floor, bending to each side
    1 minute "crunchies"
    1 minute standing leg lift
    1 minute "can lift" (hold the can in your hand, arm at your side, and push back, then to the side, then up) Each side!
    5 minutes of bouncing or running in place or skipping rope

Do this 10-minute set twice, every day. Works!
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 2:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• What about a stationary bike? I started with 10 minutes a day until I got up to 1 hour a day. It goes by fast especially if you listen to music or watch music videos
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't know what your money situation is. But I bought an exercise machine on Craigslist for half the retail price. They even delivered it to me. You can also do videos but I was never motivated enough for that.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Try some videos. I LOVE The biggest Loser PowerSculpt and CardioMax dvd's and I want to get the two new ones soon as well. If you don't know if you'll like it, try it before buying it...check out your local library for exercise dvd's or if you have cable there is usualy an Exercise On Demand channel with dozens of workouts right there FREE everyday!

If you don't have that channel (I know Time Warner has it) You can go to the channels website at: www.exercisetv.tv and not only do they have previews of all the workouts for you to watch or try but they also have FREE full length workouts right there that you can do from your computer screen.

Also something else I really love doing is the Air Climber which you can look at at www.TheAirClimber.com I bought mine from HSN where they had a payment plan!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yeah I would try some videos that really helps...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would buy some hand weights as well. Cardio is perfect for losing weight, but you lose more weight by building muscle and toning, THEN a cardio routine. I was doing it backwards for months and months before my trainer told me to do it this way. So I spend 25-30 min using free weights, hand bells, or machines, then I do 30 - 40 min. cardio.

Don't forget to change it up after about 2-3 weeks too. Go to a used book store and find some great videos that will use fun ways you like to do cardio (dance, kick boxing, etc.) That way you can use muscle confusion to help you keep losing. Your body gets used to one routine and it doesn't continue to respond the same way. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• One to try is Leslie Sansone - Walk Away the Pounds

It's easy to do with the kids around. My boys start in on the fun too. It's like marching in place.
    faery33

Answer by faery33 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• oh, and, if it's safe to walk about outdoors, a baby sling to hold the youngest, and a long "wrist leash" for the older ones. That way you can walk around a field, through a park, or whatever, and your children don't have to strain to keep up with you, and YOU are always aware of where they are as you stroll around. And after all, walking in the fresh air is always good!
    Morniel

Answer by Morniel at 2:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2009