What's the roles of the wife and husband in a marriage?

I believe my husband is confused about what his role of a husband is in a marriage. I don't even think he understands the definition of a marriage! What's all your lists of roles of the husband and wife in a marriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• first of all never be a servent to your husband everything is 50 / 50
    Anonymous

• Wow, that's kinda crude. Do you believe in strict "gender roles" or are you saying your hubby doesn't act like he's married because those are two different things. The roles of hubby and wife differ from marriage to marriage but those roles if they matter that much to you should have been discussed long before marriage.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• In my marriage, we don't have a list of roles because we are equal partners in our marriage and respect each other as such...My dh is the provider and I'm the nurturer but other than that, we work together as a team to successfully build our marriage.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• the roles of each are whatever you both agree upon. It sounds to me like you didn't discuss this with him before marrying him. Set down the expectations you have from him and tell him what you are willing to do. This is called creating boundaries so you can have more understandable roles.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Me and my hubby sat down and talked about the roles and decided it was better for us to split everything 50/50. We both work, we both clean the house, we both tend to the baby and so on. The only things I do that he doesn't is cook and do the finances. But I don't consider it extra because he works much more than me. We tried the whole wife does all the housework/baby stuff, husband works, but it didn't work. I was getting worn out and he wasn't spending anytime with us. Now everything works well together and nobody is tired of doing something.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i think that the roles are or should be equal, but i also think that most of the time they are not that way. i think that is why we get so fustrated because we as moms/wifes feel like we are doing more then our equal share. i also think that to have a healthy marriage you have to be able to communicate well.
    Anonymous

• You know, one just can't answer this question these days. Roles have become so reversed and in the right circumstances, it's certainly okay. I feel that if there is one person working in the family, and the other stays home, it is the person who stays at home responsibility to the home. Now, it's different with outside work, mowing, shoveling and even grilling out... some people enjoy these things, some don't. So, I think it's up the family to decide... Of course, kids are equal responsibility. If two people work in the family, then the roles would have to be shared... Times are so different that the old rules simply cannot apply these days.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think it's different for every marriage and you need to sit down and come to an agreement with your DH or you're going to have many years of disappointment and resentment. You can't just expect him to read your mind and know what your expectations are. He may have been raised differently or just have a different opinion. And just because he has a different opinion than yours, doesn't mean he's wrong.
    Why didn't you inquire this with your DH before you got married.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Well it certainly depends on the individuals in the marriage but for us...I started to make a list for you but it is so not black and white with us.

Bascially for us its domestic cooking/cleaning for me since I'm a SAHM. Working for husband. Those are our "jobs"...
    but to go into emotional, spiritual, physical roles are so vast.

Is he open to some expert advice? Maybe a book from an author you both trust to help you with your roles as husband and wife?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

(i really like what mom2mybabes said about marriage i totally agree with her)
    mommyliby

Answer by mommyliby at 2:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009