Do GOP supporters ever call out their own people?

Bobby Jindal, the Republican governor of Louisiana, gave the GOP response to President Barack Obama's speech to Congress Tuesday night.but it's important to note that Jindal repeated two fairly common Republican lies about the stimulus package. Here's the relevant portion:

"$8 billion for high-speed rail projects, such as a magnetic levitation line from Las Vegas to Disneyland, and $140 million for something called "volcano monitoring".
The truth is that the stimulus bill does not allocate any high speed rail money for specific projects. In fact, any stimulus money for high speed rail would be allocated by Obama transportation secretary Ray Lahood—a Republican.The 'volcano monitoring' part is almost as misleading the stimulus money is for "U.S. Geological Survey facilities and equipment, including stream gages, seismic and volcano monitoring systems and national map activities."

girl_in_the_D

Asked by girl_in_the_D at 2:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep there were things I didn't like tha Bush did and I'd tell anyone who ask. But I don't see the samething from the Dems. I may be a Republican, but i'm not obsessed with being a REP. What is right comes first and when I see something I don't like I will speak up.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Sure we do. In fact I bet we call them out more often then democrats do because otherwise idiots like Pelosi sure wouldnt be in office would they if democrats actually, idk, called them out and voted qualified non morons into office. I like Jindal. I see no need to call him out.
    Anonymous

• Just like Dems there are some that will and others that toe the party line no matter what.

Jon Stewart had a great bit about Rep govs who are complaining about the stimulus but still taking the money, Jindal was featured.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Do Dems? Who cares, it's politics, we are in the minority right now, wtf would we call out one of our own. But, I believe the money is earmarked in the stimulus bill for the sin express and the marsh mouse and volcano monitoring even though those exact words are not in the bill, specifically.

akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Jon Stewart had a great bit about Rep govs who are complaining about the stimulus but still taking the money, Jindal was featured.

Well I'd rather see them take it than give it back to the Dems to spend as they please, it's not like they are going to let the mopney go to waste.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 2:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am a registered independent, but I am a Conservative. So this kinda applies to me, I think?

I called out Cheney, Bush(before I joined cafemom Q&A debates in October), McCain (when he agreed with the 1st stimulus and I even did it on cafemom, too), I have called out Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, Arlen Specter. I have called out John Boehnor to his face (he is my rep)...

You do realize your elected officials WORK FOR YOU, don't you?  lol

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• We did call out the ones you mentioned grly, but they were acting more as Dems at the time than republicans.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Ohh and you got this article from where liberal Mother Jones Blog? In regards to your "blog" opinion piece~Because it isn't spelled out in the bill, but the STATES have requested (or EARMARKED) funds for projects (ie rail system to Disneyland)... Where else might CA/NV/Transprotation Dept  get to get the money for the Rail System, if CA is broke and in debt? I don't think NV is going to foot the entire invoice. Study up on the term "earmarks".

The point is to stop earmarks. Require Details Specifying Spending to ELIMINATE WASTE...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Conservatives constantly point up problems - ever listen to them on radio or TV ??! No true-believers drinking Kool-aid there ! Lots of seeking info in order to make up their own minds.

I actually am trying to read the stimulus bill (interesting that the links to it on the White House site go to "page not found") You need 2 computers - 1 to show the bill's pages, and a 2nd one for looking up the references in every section. For instance, $8 mill. for "the health program title 24 of section 6 in H.R.Bill 407" does not tell you what that $8 mill. will actually be doing.

So, saying that "those words are not anywhere in the Bill" is blatantly deceptive.

I am ready to consider that the elevated train to Las Vegas is misinformation, but it's very possible that the train IS in there - as a reference to some other program in some other bill.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I complained about Bush growing our Government. Until Obama he had spent more on Social Entitlements than anyone else. Bush spent like a Kennedy on a 3 day drunken bender. He was very much like a Democrat when it came to spending. So I was pissed.

Bush was Dumb Obama is Dumber they should make a movie.
    Anonymous