My 6 month old son has had a cough for the past couple of weeks. The pediatrician swears that his lungs are clear and we did a blood test and uring test where were both negative. He also had a 102.6 fever last Friday night. Has anyone ever experienced this? Could it be croup? Im going nuts and his coughing and stuffy nose wakes him up at night. I feel so helpless.

My 6 month old son has had a cough for the past couple of weeks. The pediatrician swears that his lungs are clear and we did a blood test and urine test which were both negative. He also had a 102.6 fever last Friday night. Has anyone ever experienced this? Could it be croup? Im going nuts and his coughing and stuffy nose wakes him up at night. I feel so helpless.

Adina1224

Asked by Adina1224 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's just a cold Mama. Ease up. I know it sucks when our kids are sick and often think that there is really some wrong with our babies, but it's going to be okay. This will not be the last time he gets a cold. Colds can last quite a while, especially in babies when their immune system isn't 100% yet. Just treat the symptoms. Put a humidifier in his room, suction his nose regularly. You can use baby saline nose drops to help break up the mucus in his nose. They also have Baby Vicks, try that on the soles of his feet and then put his footie pjs on him, they don't know why, but it does wonders with congestion!! I hope your LO starts to feel better soon. Take a deep breath and relax, he'll be fine.
    Anonymous

• Colds last longer in babies. Does your doc know about the fever?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am not in the medical field, but this sounds like bronchial asthma to me. I don't know about the fever. We went through long periods of my son coughing until the doctor diagnosed the asthma. The lungs don't have to be full, it could be an allergic reaction and the bronchial area gets tight. Is his cough a dry cough? A whistling cough? Two doctors failed to diagnose my son, then the third doctor noticed that I had allergies and put two and two together. Of course, let me say that your son's problem may be totally different, but after my experience this is the first thing I thought of.

Answer by Bmat at 2:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yep, he knows about the fever.

It sounds like alittle bit of a whistling cough. I really hope it's not allergies. I have 2 cats that I am allergic to but I refuse to get rid of them. I've had them too long.

thanks so much for your anwsers.
    Adina1224

Answer by Adina1224 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You don't get fevers with allergies. It's just a cold.
    Anonymous

• Thanks sooooooo much to you all for your answers.
    Adina1224

Answer by Adina1224 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• If his lungs sound clear it is not asthma. I have two kids with asthma. The lungs do not sound clear with it.

It's a cold. If it is croup (a nasty version of a cold) you will know it by the sound of the cough...seal bark. Believe me....you will KNOW if it's croup.

Elevate the head of his crib (we put a folded towel under the mattress)
    Run a humidifier in his room. Steam or cool mist which ever works better for him.
    Steam him in the bathroom once a day at least...and suction out what starts running.
    Saline nasal drops and suction...or don't suction, but the drops will help things thin out.
    Tylenol for discomfort.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• it could be rsv has ur baby been tested for it??
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Ask your Dr. if it is post nasal drip caused by Allergy related Asthma which can lead to a croup or croup like cough. Try proping the child up with a wedge in his/her crib at night, some times that helps, also they have a decongestant, antihistamine I got from the dr. that is Alcohol & sugar free called CP DEC-DM Oral drops, works like a charm for my little one, 9 months.
    AandSsmom

Answer by AandSsmom at 5:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would definitly get checked for RSV. My son had it and could not handle it so we ended up in the hospital for 4 days with low oxygen saturation. Yours is probably fine and will handle the RSV, but at least you will know what he has. Hang in there mama and get a cool mist vaporizor. They really help.
    alalsip

Answer by alalsip at 5:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2009