Is it safe to put three carseats in the back seat of a car?

Has anyone done this in a regular 5 seater car? Is it safe or not?

Mia1983

Asked by Mia1983 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Travel

• I have done it. I don't know if it is safe. 2 were boosters and it is killer to get them buckled, I almost had to tip the kids out to get them buckled.LOL
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I do it too...and yes it is a bitch to unbuckle them..
    I feel it is safe.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I've tried it, in an suv. i was unable to get them buckled. two were toddler size forward facing and one was a rear facing infant seat. couldnt do it and i dont think it is very safe. if they have such a nearly impossible time getting in (even if you can get them buckled theyll probably be leaning and crooked) then it probably isnt safe. :D
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You have to be able to fit each car seat properly to be able to have 3 in the back.

If any of your children are a little older ,approx 3 or 4 then you could look at the Ride Safer travel vest. It is a vest the child wears with a seat belt guide across the shoulder and the lap that is used with a tether until they reach a minimum weight. It has a crutch strap to stop the child from submarining in an accident as well. It is safer than a regular booster seat and would save you some space in the back.

We use ours for travel and car pooling because our son likes to sit higher in our vehicles, but definately worth taking a look at. There is also a brand of car seat that is narrower to allow for 3 seats across but I can't remember what it was.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It is safe if you make sure all 3 are installed correctly, It may be hard to get them in but you can do it. I have to put and infant seat, a forward facing carseat and a booster seat in my backseat. Trust me I wish I could affors a minivan but I can't so I will make do this way until I can.
    Anonymous

• as long as they are installed correctly(it wil lbe a huge pain to do so...so be patient) it will be fine
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009