are great pyrenees dogs good with children

my hubby and i have decided to get a great pyrenees but i was wondering if they were good with children i have a 15 month old and want to be on the safe side and know that they are good pets to have

111807mom

Asked by 111807mom at 2:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I hope you live up north.lol Yes, they are good with children, if they have manners, and are taught good behavior within the family. All dogs need to be trained in what ever situation you put them in.We had one in Ohio and he pulled the sled for the kids. He also was the sweetest dog I have ever had. Kids would try and ride him like a pony, and he would lye down on the floor and they would crawl all over him. He was a pup when we got him and he grew up with the kids. They are herding animals so he would herd the kids when he wanted them to go inside. He will make a great watch dog, but does need to have a job to be kept happy.Treat them right and you will have a wonderful family dog. Google dog breeds and read about them so you know what they are like. Hope all works out for ya.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• YES!!!!!! I have one and she is the best dog I've EVER owned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everytime we tell ppl we have one, they say "Wow, those are awesome dogs" We live in Texas and alot of people have them as farm dogs.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They are dogs that are good for just about everything. They guard, they herd, they babysit...lol.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• They are excellent family dogs, and are particularly good with children. But because they are herding dogs, they do need to be trained correctly, and be socialized well. Their size can be a risk for very small babies and children (though I doubt the dog would hurt a baby on purpose, it might happen by accident). They have a long coat that needs a significant amount of care and maintenance, but dont have many health problems. Good luck!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 1:55 AM on Feb. 28, 2009

• My aunt loves Great Pyrenees. As far back (probably about 30 years) as I can remember she's had at least one. She's had five Great Pyrenees over that span of time. Here is what I remember about her dogs: All of her dogs were very gentle however 2 out of the 5 were timid. All but one of them seemed like they would be fine with kids, but they are such big dogs I could see one of them accidentally hurting a smaller child. They shed a lot and their coat looked like it required quite a bit of maintenance. All of her dogs had hip problems and only one lived past the age of 10. I hope that helps. By the way, check out this article on dogs good with children for more information about different dog breeds. Or as mentioned above just try googling the breed your interested in.

stubarnes

Answer by stubarnes at 6:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2009