When family and friends

ask what your child needs or wants for their birthday and you tell them they don't need anything but keep asking, is it ok to then say if you would like to give him anything you can give them a savings bond or help add to their college savings? Really my kids have so many toys and clothes they don't need any more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes! That is a great idea. It gets them off your back and is useful for your children. Not nearly as fun for them to buy, but who cares, it is about your child not them.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with telling them that..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think that is too a great idea! College is a need for our children I feel!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Thank you. I don't usually go anon but I have friends and family on here and I just don't want them to think I am rude or unappreciative.

Anonymous

• It would also be ok to get them movie theatre tickets, or a bag of tokens to chuckecheese if they want to do something fun. They prob really want to come with a gift and give something the child would like. Maybe a gift card to barnes and noble or something.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Suggest a small toy or book and money for the college account (or a savings bond, as you said.) It makes a lot more sense than a big toy that the child plays with a couple times. Plus, the child still gets a toy or book that he or she can enjoy and may well appreciate as much as a more expensive item.

Answer by Bmat at 3:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• We opened up a savings account for both of ours. The family sometimes gets them one cheap toy and some money. That way the kids are happy and we are building their accounts for the future.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• thats what my grannie does.. she might get him a small toy, but she always gets him a $100 bond. So far we have three, one for his birth, one for Christmas, and soon one for his bday. I think its a great idea..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009