Dark red in chicken

I always buy boneless chicken breasts in a package of about 6 breasts at a time. They have always been all white meat. Today I was cutting some up however and large amounts were bright red. After thinking it might have gone bad I went back and read the package closer and it says "with rib meat". Is rib meat a dark red ? Just making sure so I don't serve my family bad chicken (it smells fine and is not past the expiration date).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yea. I'd say your fine
    Anonymous

• i agree. alot of times the meat around the bone is colored red. you will know its bad by the way it smells or if its slimy.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 4:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes because if you cook a bone in chicken breast you will find that the meat around the bone is usually very dark, I used to think mine was bad too lol til my husband explained this to me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009