Children and Cellular Phones...

What kind of phone (if any) would you get a 9 year old girl??? What she wants or needs??? Would like to see what other Mom's think about this...

heavenschild99

Asked by heavenschild99 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Dinsey has a phone that comes in many different styles. You get to program the phone numbers she is allow to make or receive. My 11 year old neice has one and its real neat. If she losses it, All you have to do is call the 1-800 number and they can GSP it for you. It is also good if you let your childern go to the park or something alone. If chance of kidnapping, the 1-800 number comes in good use. All you have to do to do to the disney store online and look it up..
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 3:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't for a 9 yr old
    Anonymous

• Im getting my son a phone when he turns 9 (next mth). Im getting him an Altel prepaid phone, nothing fancy. Just a regular flip phone without a camera.

Answer by gemgem at 3:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• If I got my children a phone at 9 years old it would be one of the ones that you can only program like 3 numbers in and emergency numbers. So I'd get what I felt like the needed at that age.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree with whittear.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It depends on how far what she wants is from what she needs and if you are going to end up buying a new one soon to get the one she wants. I certainly would not get a 9 year old a iphone or Blackberry, but if it is only a couple "extra" features and doesn't cost alot more and it is for her birthday then I would get the one she wants.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I have thought about getting my son one for his birthday (he turns ten in September). It will be the simplest phone our plan offers and he will only be allowed to call me, his dad, or my mom, or other people that are our "emergency" contacts friends/neighbors. He would only have it when he is away from us, like at a friends house or something. It will not be a toy and there will be no texting or anything like that.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My kids are 16 and 21 now, and I would NEVER have bought them a phone when they were nine, but I always used to tell my kids: "I'm a mean Mom!" :-) (It cut down on those silly "You just don't get it!" arguments, if I started out admitting I was mean!) I never let my kids play video games in my house either, so there you have it ~ I guess I really am mean!
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009