What do I do if my 4.5yo is still having accidents during the day?

My DD will be 5 in May and is still having accidents during the day (most days). She tells me that she can't make it in time or she was playing. She's been getting in trouble for this as well, and now is lying to me about it. What should I do? Should she be getting into trouble or should I ignore it and "maybe it will go away"?

Any advice would be helpful...

Thanks!

Colabola

Asked by Colabola at 3:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't ignore it! Go back to the basics of potty training. If you used a reward system when she first started then go back to it. I am assuming that she recently regressed and has not been like this since being potty trained. If she has always been like this then she was never really potty trained. Work on it though. They will not take that is kindergarten. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Remember that accidents in fully potty trained kids are common through first grade. They get so wrapped up in what they are doing that they either don't "hear" the "I've got to go!" message from their bladder or they ignore it so they don't miss any of the fun and then can't make it to the potty in time. It is very common for parents to have to remind kids to go for years after the initial potty training - something that lots of parents of preschoolers don't realize.

I'd try going back to a reward system and reminding her every 2 hours. If possible, use a kitchen timer and teach her to reset it after each attempt to go. You can also find "potty watches" at places like Amazon that are a timer for the child to use.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• ----yeah sometimes going back is good. but remember sometimes during play times kids need extra reminding cause they get busy and don't want to miss out. don't worry about kindergarten because they will help. they help my son when he has a accident and they don't kick him out. They are still small and learning. "kids are not miniature adults" my favorite quote.
    ladyheather900

Answer by ladyheather900 at 12:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2009