Anyone traveled out of the country when they were six months or more?

I will be traveling overseas when I am 25-26wks pregnant, and I am starting to get nervous. The flight will be long, and I will be alone. Anyone have suggestions things I can do to make the trip more comfortable/enjoyable? Anything I should be concerned with? My doctor doesn't have a problem with it, btw.

mileymoo

Asked by mileymoo at 3:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Check your health insurance to see if you have overseas coverage. If you don't you may want to check in to it.

I didn't travel out of the country, but I did travel from one side of the country to the other when I was 8 months. The second day I was there I may have walked too far because I had pains that night. I took it easy the next day and was fine.

Answer by Bmat at 3:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I flew to Korea when I was 27 weeks. I was traveling with a cat and an 8 year old, and did a lot of research. First - book early and request a seat with more leg room. Try to fly at night, these normally aren't as crowded, and the flight attendents may be able to find you more room. In a lot of cases the foreign airlines are not as crowded as american airlines, just because their seats aren't jammed together. If you're going to Asia, I recommend Korean Air. Good luck
    redhddiva

Answer by redhddiva at 4:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Make sure you walk around often. Blood clots are a risk for anyone on a long flight, but the risk is probably higher for pregnant women. And like someone else said, book early so that you can get some leg room. Oh, and make sure you're not having quints, lol. Like that one woman from Africa. Didn't know there were so many, and ended up giving birth in the US while visiting her MIL. Although, unlike her, I'm guessing you had access to an ultrasound to rule that possibility out.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Make sure you will be able to fly back being even further along. I think most airline policies are that you can't fly after 30 weeks but I would double check. You don't want to get there and not be able to fly back.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2009