How much did your divorce cost?

I'm just getting started and wondering if any of you mommies would give me a ballpark figure into how much your divorce cost. I know there are tons and tons of variables that make it different, but just in your case.

katimae

Asked by katimae at 3:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• The divorce itself? $500. The custody dispute? Its still going strong and has been since 2002 and Im up to $25k.

Answer by gemgem at 3:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Mine was $3000. Even tho we started off using the same lawyer and being very amicable as we were, and making our own agreement to the division, there was still the question about custody that I knew I had to take care of since there was an extreme case of bi-polar disorder on his part, so I got my own lawyer. Since we only had to go to court at the beginning for the custody hearing, which lasted, umm.. a full 15 min...basically my lawyer didn't have to do much. She took her sweet time filing it, what ? 6 months later, I called and asked if I needed to come down and take the papers to be signed by the judge and presto, they were done by noon that day. It was an easy process. But I also had peace of mind in the custody part. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Mine was 3500.00 after it was said and done.... It lasted 9 months.
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 6:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• the divorce or the marriage lasted 9 months????!!!
    Anonymous

• It is better if you can seriously do without attorneys. A coworker did that and saved Attorney fees. Use that money for something else. Get a meditator! No matter what happenes NO ONE is happy at the end. My bro paid over $10,000.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• May an overdue vacation for you!!! While he gets the kids for the weekend.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I paid $350, took 3 weeks for the divorce, we didn't have any money or custody disputes. No Lawyer. My ex-husband and I worked it all out on our own. Till this day he is a very good friend of mine and a wonderful father to our daughter.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 8:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My mom just finished going through hers and it cost her around $3,000 and that was with some custody issues.
    gvssmom

Answer by gvssmom at 7:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2009