Choking on liquid coming out of sippy

My dd just started using a sippy and is 'choking' on the liquid when it comes out. I know it is because she isn't used to the flow of it, but do I let her continue to use it or no? Will she get used to it or is she just not ready?

kboney29

Asked by kboney29 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait untili shes about 9 months
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• How old is she? If she's over a year, she's okay with a sippy. But maybe you should try one with a different flow and return to those others when she is more used to how a sippy is different from a bottle. I like the kind with a soft sipper.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• She is six months and is using a soft sipper. She can hold it fine and gets the concept, but just doesn't seem to take well to how the liquid is coming out.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think 6 months is a bit young...they are just getting used to eating solids at this age, and have to get used to that, let alone liquid in a fast cup. I'd wait a few more months, I didn't give my son a sippy until he was 8 months...and he's a pro! He showed us he was ready by taking sips out of our cup, when we had water and juice he could have.
    Anonymous