If you work from home and your kids are home from school, what do you do to keep the children from interupting your work?

My SO and I work from home and normally if the kids have a full day off from school we arrange for them to go over to a relative or friend's house. For the next 3 days the kids have early dismissal and get home about 2 hours early. We thought we had today covered, but at the last minute were told that they couldn't watch the kids. How would you keep the kids out of your hair so you can work?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 4:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Divide your time up. If your children are home, they "will" want your attention, allow them their time with you. Make it clear that from this time till then ,I will be available for you but from this time to this, I have work to do & cannot be interupted. It takes practice & they will interrupt you but if you are willing to train them to follow the guide lines you will be giving them the opportunity to gain some much needed skills that can be useful to them as they navigate through life. Have fun with it & most of all enjoy your "time" with your children it goes by very quickly, those opportunities to impact our childrens futures.
    danielle808

Answer by danielle808 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Make it a fun time. Have a special game they can play or maybe pick up a movie they really want to see. You don't say how old your kids are. Can you have the older supervise a craft time in maybe the kitchen where the mess it easily cleaned up? You can picl up a tool box of craft supplies at target with markers, crayons, clay, stencils, clay molds and paint ( all washable) for about 10 bucks.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I go to school full time and have a ton of homework. I just wait til he takes a nap or goes to sleep for the night. I realize that might not be a solution since you have an in home business. Are they old enough to be "helping'? You could have them sort something, or organize your desk drawer.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 6:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I work from home as a rental property manager and from 2:30 pm until 5 or 6 pm my 8 year old is with me. She works with me, does homework, reads, plays a game, has snack, watches tv, whatever she's in the mood for. Sometimes we show apartments together or do errands together. It is good because she gets to see how important it is to work hard, and she understands what I do to make a "paycheck". She does understand this is work, and something I have to do, and it won't always be fun, but she knows when quitting time comes and daddy comes home, it's family time.
    Anonymous