Getting her to give it up...

We have lived in our house for a year and a half. Since we moved in, the sun room has been DDs playroom. Well, we bought a nice new patio set and plan on putting it out there. We've moved all of her stuff into the bonus room and rearranged the furniture so that she had PLENTY of personal play space (not to mention her bedroom). Well, she has a rose petal cottage and a cherry blossom market and she plays with them daily. She also has this big bulky plastic kitchen thing out in the sunroom that she plays with. We have no room for it inside but she does NOT want to get rid of it. We have no other option at this point.

I need some suggestions on what I can try to get her to TRADE it for. She doesn't care about moving out of the sunroom, she's just pissed about getting rid of her kitchen thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

amandae21

Asked by amandae21 at 4:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does she play with the big plastic kitchen thingy? If not you are the parent don't ask if it is ok sometimes you just have to do things like that. Can you take it to Grandmas or something like that? Good luck. I really wish I could help you.
    priddymom

Answer by priddymom at 4:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You don't say how old she is.

If she's old enough, I'd trade her real kitchen time with mommy. (One meal- once a week is hers to choose what to make and get to make it with you.)

If she's too small for that, I'd just have it disappear one night while she was sleeping and have a really fun toy wrapped up with balloons in it's place for her to find. Maybe make up a thank you card from the recipient of her kitchen thing for her to read, too.(you know the recipient is probably thankful-if you sent it to Goodwill, etc.)

No asking or arguing. You're the parent after all.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree, you are the Parent, you decide what stays and goes. It sounds as though she plays with the other ones more, so explain to her that you are going to give the other kitchen set to another child whose parents might not be able to give their children such nice things. It's NEVER too early to teach the concept of charity.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 4:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• happy- I tried that, and she said to send the little girl HER ROSE PETAL COTTAGE STUFF!!! My knee jerk thought- HELL NO! I've paid a lot of money for all that stuff, and only $10 for the kitchen at goodwill!
    amandae21

Answer by amandae21 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I agree...that you just have to send it away to some one or something.I had a VERY hard time with my DD "Binky"..when she was smaller..I had to make it disappear and then keep repeating were it went. for MONTHS!

I also had slowing , set her up for this by reading books about it and talking about it...change is really hard for some kids..
    Lady_Rhia

Answer by Lady_Rhia at 7:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• if that's the one she plays with the most then YES trade it for the Rose Petal. Yes you paid more for the Cottage, but which does she use most????
    Another idea is to get her a smaller kitchen that will fit in the bonus room.
    Anonymous

• I would tell her that you can't fit the kitchen in her new playroom and then take her shopping for a smaller one. I think kitchens are great toys for children, so as long as she's using it, I'd let her have one. Just try to find a smaller one...
    gradysmom2006

Answer by gradysmom2006 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009