How many of you mommies were induced without the epidural?

I am going to be induced on the 5th due to medical reasons and still want to try going natural. Anyone else have any luck?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 40 hour induced labor, no epidural. Just a shower pounding on my back at regular intervals to relieve the back labor. It is possible. But hard. However, an important thing to remember is that this is pain that will not kill or damage you. And it will eventually be over. Nothing to be afraid of. That's important, because fear always makes pain worse, and too much fear can actually stall or prolong your labor. You send a signal to your body that it's too dangerous to give birth right now. So my best advice is, don't be afraid, and you can do this with no meds.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• After being induced, you don't have a break between contractions really like natural labor. The contractions are also more painful. I went about 13 without any medication so it can be done but it's so incredibly painful. I eventually had to have some but my labor was 24 hours and then an emergency c-section. I think you can try it and go as long as you possible can but I am warning you, it's incredibly painful with just the contractions.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I was induced 3 of the 5 times I was pregnant. I had an epidural 2 of those times. The one without he came so fast they didnt have time to give me anything at all. The second the epidural I only got because the pitocin was killer and I couldnt handle it. I was in labor around 6 hours before I gave in and it was nice. The 3rd one I was induced with the epidural only numbed half my body so it was a waste. if they induce try asking them to pop your water before using pitocin. The pitocin causes longer stronger contractions and seemed to me to extendlabor.

Answer by gemgem at 4:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i was induced, and made it to 5 cms, after that i had horrible back labor and decided to go with the epidural. after i got it things progressed really quickly, but i had zero pain. good luck.
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I spent about ahalf hour after recieving the pitocin without the epi- the contractions were pure hell. after recieving the epi I was comfortably laying there. 6 hours with my first 3 with my second... so I don't think prolonged.

honestly if I had to weigh it out I would consider the pitocin more of a risk to baby than the epi... the pitocin stimulates contractions before the body is totally ready it seems more un-natural to me than a pain killer....
    neither of my babies were groggy or seemed affected at all by the birth or the epi either time... of course you will want to do your own research in that regard

I personally would do either both or neither... but that is just me
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i was induced and since i couldn't relax enough to dilate past a two after 15 hours of labor they decided that i would probably be getting a c-section but i got epi and i dilated faster and had my son. but the pain was freaking crazy not even a c-section hurts as bad as being induced.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• idk but iv wondered the same thing
    just scared to ask
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• wow Tyrelsmom... you are a tough cookie... I didn't feel like I could take another 15 mins of that pain... much less 40 hours... Kudos to you for real

know what i hated?? the monitor next to my bed with the number that i could just watch climbing everytime a contraction started... so I knew when it was going to hit and could see it go higher every time... and honestly ithink that made me tense more...

on the other hand I loved watching it go when i had the epi in and couldn't feel it... my body was doing something serious ya know... and I could feel alittle pressure but I could watch the numbers go crazy...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 7:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am being induced on the 4th and I feel the same as you, I really want to go natural but I have also told myself that if it gets too bad I will allow myself to take the epidural. I hate when people say "don't be a hero"...and all that stuff, so I am trying to now prove to myself I can do it. But I also don't want to have one for other reasons so I am really going to try. Good luck to you! I hope we can both get thru it the way we want!
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 10:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My mom was induced when she gave birth to me and she said that she wouldn't have been able to refuse drugs if she hadn't have already done it with my brother. Also, I hope you've taken some sort of class(es) to prepare yourself.
    doubleyouteeeff

Answer by doubleyouteeeff at 11:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009