Mini Daschunds

I have two miniature daschunds. One I have had since she was six weeks old and the other we adopted so she'd have a friend a few years back. They are both 7 years old and both my hubby and I love them but they're not very friendly with my 6 1/2 mo. The adopted one is friendlier than the other and we think it's due to the fact she's had two litters before but my dog constantly tries to bite him even when he's not doing anything to her. She runs away from him and he's never pet her so I don't understand. I don't know what to do besides get rid of them but I don't want to take them to the pound to be uthinised (sp?). What should I do?

SouthALMommy

Asked by SouthALMommy at 4:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pets

• First you have to remember that your dogs never had a child around before, so they are like a stranger. When any other stranger comes around they are protective, so this is no different. It took our dog awhile to get use to our little one. This was really scary for us because he's a Rott. mix, so his bite could be deadly. He's finally coming around to him, but he still has his moments that he doesn't really like the baby. We just make sure whenever the dog is around we encourage interation between the two and that we show our baby what the dog likes. Petting, not hitting or pulling the ears/ tail. We also make sure we aren't neglecting our dog. Dogs love your attention so if the baby is hogging all the attention they are going to be jealous and lash out. Read some articles on introducing pets to children.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i own a mini dashound to and they arnt the best with children always they seem to be tempermental dogs. ours seems to do well with my son be hes older and we have only had her about a year.
    My SIL had a cranky old dashound who would snapp at anyone who irriataited her. She did pretty well though when they brough home baby they just made sure then when baby was down the dog was put away. I dont think you need to get rid of them maybe just look into not having them around baby when the baby is on the floor playing.
    Anonymous

• Yeah that would bother me. I have a french bulldog that will lay there and let the kids terrorize him. He just kinda "grins and bears it". I would try to find someone to take them. Small dogs can cause damage to small children.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My mom and dad have two pugs that literally will let my son put his fingers in their eyes and they just lick all over him. He pulls their skin and they just lay there and let it happen. My son touches my dogs and they either run away or start to growl. I love them but only a tiny bit compared to my love for my son. I know they've always been the babies but now they need to learn to be "big girls" or they need to go. They're okay with being played with by older kids and adults just not babies. I want a basset hound bc I know they won't do this. I want something that can grow up with him.
    SouthALMommy

Answer by SouthALMommy at 11:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Hello, I breed dashounds and they are not known to be friendly to children that they have not grown up with...I hope this helps you out..
    melissakeefe

Answer by melissakeefe at 9:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2010