Should we change schools?

My 6 yo step son goes to a private school that my husband insists on sending him to. He got full custody of him a year ago and doesn't want to create any more changes in his life by switching his school, even though we had only planned on sending him there for a year.
Anyway, he is a good kid, but acts up in school a lot. Nothing major, but constant attention seeking behavior. He acts a lot less mature at school, when he's home and is getting attention he likes he is fine. He's been in class this year with a strict teacher and I really think she's had it with him. Sometimes when I pick him up and when she tells me that he's had a bad day I feel like I can see that she is just OVER it with him. We pay a lot to send him to this place and I am starting to wonder if it's worth it. His behavior isn't violent or out of control but they see him as a problem child. He's not a problem child. Any suggestions?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe you should get to the root of why he's acting out. It may have something to do with the custody battle, even if things seem to be amicable between you and your ex he may still have unresolved issues or fears. Perhaps you should look into getting him someone he can talk to about how he's feeling.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like it's time you and hubby sat down the little one and laid down the law. I would also recommend having a meeting with the teacher while he's present to get all this out in the open. It sounds to me like he's getting away with too much at school but he may be horrified to see that his dad finds out about it. You could also start telling him for each time he gets a bad report he loses a privelage, ie..cartoons, video games, playtime.
    ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 4:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Oh we've laid down the law, trust me! And we are considering setting him up with a counselor also. He seems to handle his situation fine but we realize there may be things going on in his head that he may need help with. My real issue is that YES, he acts up at school (talks too much, acts silly, etc...) but he's not showing any behavior that is out of control by any means, and I feel like his teacher doesn't like him. It makes me want to take him out of that school. I mean, sending him there is our biggest expense and I DREAD going there to get him because I feel like they think we are all misfits or something! He is a very smart kid and has a great personality and I feel like his teacher focuses on the bad and not the good. I understand COMPLETELY getting tired of kids acting up but she's a kindergarten teacher for god sake! I feel like she's singled him out as "the trouble maker".
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• wait a mnute kindergarten, wow!!! Have you guys tried a meeting with the teacher to get feedback and trade ideas on how to best handle his behavior. Is there another teacher choice?
    I see where your hubby was comming from but having a teacher who does not like him does not help his behavior or self-esteem. He may actually be acting up MORE b/c of her, I know my son does, its like he knows they don't like him and it makes him MORE nervous, anxious, which leads to excited and more impulse control issues than b/f.
    Something to consider.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009