Is it ok if I am breastfeeding to just eat 3 main meal during lent?

I am breastfeeding a 3 month old & want a opinion whether it is ok if I give up eating between meals during lent if I just subsitute by drinking more fluids?

ryansmommy31207

Asked by ryansmommy31207 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you could as long as you feel alright. Jesus doesnt want us to sacrifice health for lent just do somethin so we remember his suffering. Maybe you could just do laundry everyday and feel the pain LOL!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I want to make sure I'll be able to amke enough milk. I wanna sacrafice for all the wrong other peopl have done to me. The pain they have caused me etc. Also for my aunt who just had surgery and had cancer on her ovaries. I want her to be ok. But I want to still be able to feed my baby do I make sense or no lol
    ryansmommy31207

Answer by ryansmommy31207 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would give up a certain activity you like to do and instead spend that time praying, helping, or volunteering or reading the bible. I wouldn't want to jeopardize your breastfeeding relationship for lent, JMO....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think God would understand if you needed to eat more. Even he believes children are our most precious thing. Just make sure to eat super nutritious during Lent.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think that producing milk and being healthy for yourself and your baby, who has no choice in the matter, is more important than sacraficing eating, even if it is the snacks inbetween. I would opt for a different activity like dont buy any uneccesary item or something like that. Because you dont know what not eating inbetween may do to your milk production. So id say start with something that will not have any chance of having a negative affect on your little one
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 4:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I called my church it's ok if I eat as long as I don;t eat meat & I gave up junk food hope I can lose a little weight I am a junk food junkie lol. Sorry for bringing up religion hope no harm is done.
    ryansmommy31207

Answer by ryansmommy31207 at 4:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• studies done on breastfeeding mothers who were fasting show no change in the composition of their breastmilk so it would be fine to cut out snacks and whatnot for lent.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/fasting.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Eating 3 main meals is actually not go for you anyways. To stay healthy and lose weight or maintain the weight you have now, you are suppose to eat 5 small meals a day.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You should be able to produce milk fine with 3 healthy meals a day. . I found this related information from THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, 2003, pg. 436: "Research from developing countries and other parts of the world indicates that even mothers who are mildly malnourished produce an adequate supply of good quality milk for their babies and only under famine or near famine conditions will a mother's nutrition affect her milk supply or the composition of her milk."

The composition of human milk is very similar all over the world, even comparing wealthy and impoverished women. The body will use what it needs first to make the milk and what is left will go to the mother. If mother is not eating enough of something it will take what it needs from the mother's reserves.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• ryansmom the giving up of something is so we remember the sacrifice Jesus made when dying for us. so we sacrifice something for him. Your church may be suggesting food, but it is not necessary. when you have a hunger pain then you should relate to Jesus on the cross and his pain that he suffered for us. People do it just to remind themselves and make a sacrife for him. You could def. sacrifice in other ways...like giving up soda, or tv, or you could do 1 extra thing each day for someone else, thus sacrificing your time and resources for another person. Just a little info on the meaning behind it. pray about it and you may feel led to focus on a certain area in your life.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2009