should i take a birthing/lamaze class with dh? his 1st -my 5th

he keeps saying oh you know what to do your a pro- like im not gonna nedd him at all- he thinks i'll just go in- and wam they send me home with baby- now i may be overexaggerating a bit- but im still freakin scared- any birth is hard- and i had a section w my twins that left me terrified- i want him to know what to do- do u think a class might help?

KITTYLITTLES

Asked by KITTYLITTLES at 4:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• We just had our first. Hubby was really shy about taking the classes but after all said and done he was glad we did :).
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 4:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i went to birthing classes with my husband but i think what really got to him was when i went to the library and rented a video on giving birth. we sat down together and watched it. and it showed EVERYTHING down to the afterbirth. lol. i wanted to make sure he wasnt gonna pass out in the delivery room and had a clue of what was going to happen in there.
    it was the first for both of us..lol.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My husband and I only went to an 4 hour class when we had our first and we thought that it was a complete waste of time. We did no lamaze classes for subsequent children. Thats just us, but we thought they were a waste of time.

And I even went natural...no drugs.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I am working on my 3rd and my husband's 1st... so I understand your predicament... I am not making my husband take a class with me... I just explained to him exactly what happened the other two times and that he is more than welcome to stay on my top half and hold my hand if he doesn't want to look...I know it's still scary, but he's right... you have been through it before, and you can tell him what to expect... ask him if he could (to make you feel better) read a few articles or sections of pregnancy books to help him prepare as well...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes, take the class-- at the very least, he will get some more education about how intense the experience really is, even for your fifth child. I don't think he'll take it lightly once he learns more...
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 7:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would recommend the class for sure. My husband and I took it. It was my first and his second but he learned so much. I spent so much time running back and forth to the bathroom and missed so much stuff and he remembered absolutly everything. I really enjoyed doing that together.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It certainly couldn't hurt anything. It sounds like you have some fears, he has some insecurities (or lack of clarity of what this whole thing entails), and it might help settle both of you to take a class. It might be a good way to make him feel more included, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• THNX
    KITTYLITTLES

Answer by KITTYLITTLES at 4:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009