Did you know hand sanitizer can make a breathtest tube say you are drunk when you arn't?

Last night i went to a home basketball game, as i was leaving i seen my dads pickup so i stopped chatted about a family round up with him he bought me a pop and i left well i got in my car started taking off i guess i didn't stop long enough at the stop sign so he told me and he made me use a hand sanitizer before i could touch the tube which i had a runny nose and i intched it so i blew in the tube here it said i was well over drunk .. CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• CONT
    if i was that drunk i wouldn't be talking normal like i have been.. well they did a 2nd test same thing so i went to the hospital had another test done and about that time i was getting piss and tired and they found out it was hand sanitizer that messed with the breathtube.. all that crap gesh!! has this ever happened to you before?
    Anonymous

• I have read about it, but never had it happen to me. You're right, the alcohol in the sanitizer is the same alcohol that will generate a "drunk" result on a breathalyzer. Always insist on a blood test if you get pulled over!
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009