Have you tried any fruits that aren't "common"?

I mean other than apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, pineapple, etc. We used to eat loquat all the time in Spain, we actually had a loquat tree and fig tree in our back yard. I'd love to try some new fruit as I am going to the produce market tomorrow, just not sure what things are lol!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• star fruit, duran, jack fruit, comquats (sp), persimmons (sp),goose berries but then again thats a berry not a fruit.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• iv tried something called a starfruit
    its green on the outside and its kinda star shaped. it was very tasty.
    also Kiwi is good its kind of common though i guess
    mangos are good to if you havnt tried one of those it to is common for america.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I use to date an asian guy and he would take me to the market store his mom owned. I ate all kinds of different fruit. Some was good, some wasn't, but if you are looking for variety I would start in one of those types of stores.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Someone beat me to "Star-fruit" which is way good..... But, continuing to read, I was reminded of a time when I was a little girl and tasted gooseberries for the first time. My father is a pastor and we lived in rural Indiana, where all the folks in the church would have our family over for dinner quite frequently. One of the ladies was famous for her fabulous gooseberry pie and that's what she made/served for dessert at dinner when we visited their home. For some reason, she'd forgotten the sugar, and gooseberries are quite tart without sweetening. My mother told me that she said in abject terror just waiting for me to bellow about how nasty the pie was, but she said that I just set my fork down and whispered in her ear that I simply couldn't eat it. She just about cried with relief, and said loudly: "It's ok if you're too full for your dessert, honey. You don't have to eat it."
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• LOL thats a funny story. So do you have to cook gooseberries or are they eaten fresh too? What do they taste like?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't even remember the incident with the gooseberries, so I don't know what they taste like, but I think they're shaped like little bitty blueberries (as opposed to raspberries or blackberries) and just don't get real sweet "on the vine". That might just be Indiana, though ~~ we didn't get a lot of good fresh fruit there. Lots of great corn, but not much fruit from what I remember. We moved to Oregon when I was 9.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009