How do I get my three year to stop hurting herself?

At least once an hour my three year old my three year old says "ouch I hurt myself", starts fake crying and then comes running to me. Anything from stepping on something to hitting her elbow. I think she is trying to get attention. What should I do to help her to stop doing this? Does anyone else have this problem?

NursingMom

Asked by NursingMom at 4:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i have the same problem. My 3 year old makes up reasons to be hurt and if i don't pay enough attention he will actually hurt himself. What i have found that helps a little is to simply say " well then your not going to do that again now are you?" and if he answers he will then we talk about what happened in the story of the boy who cried wolf. if you haven't read your child this book you should, i found it also helps a little with lying too. Another thing i started doing is setting aside a hour just for me and him.( i have 3 kids so it can be very hard sometimes.) but he really seems to enjoy it and it seems to work too. but i ahve only been doing this daily for a week.
    ladyheather900

Answer by ladyheather900 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My daughter started to head butt the floor and then when I looked at her funny she would laugh. Then she progressed into other things. When I made a game out of it she laughed and took it as mommy and daughter play time and stopped...
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 9:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Don't dote on her when she is hurt a little. Encourage her not to be a whimp. Praise her for her acomplishments. If she continues making up injuries, she may become a hypochondriac.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2009