Can you define Fiscal Responsibility?

I am interested to know how the CM's define fiscal responsibility. I see many of the Obama supporters trying to stand behind his decision for this bailout, but not all of them sound very convinced that this is the right way to go. So, in this age of entitlement, how would you define fiscal responsibility? *please no Wiki info*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In regards to a Government in general: A fiscally responsible Government is when Government Revenue is evenly balanced to its spending.

In regards to the People of this nation: The largest risk to our economic growth and competitiveness is the influence of government on the economy. If government and taxes are allowed to increase without restrictions, the economy will tighten, thereby limiting opportunities for all. Thus resulting in spending surpassing income generated. jmho

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• For me it starts by understanding the difference between needs and wants. I can only base it on how I run my family budget which I am responsible for. At the moment we have several thousand dollars in savings. There are alot of things we want to do with the money but what we need to do with it is save it because economists arent painting a pretty picture of the future for us. On the US standard I see things much the same. Sure it would be nice to have green energy everywhere, hybrid cars etc but right now it isnt fiscally responsible to be spending money on such things when we are already in debt and dont have much of a way out of it. The US has lost alot of manufacturing jobs which means we arent MAKING things, its like my husband working part time and me spending a full time check and his bonus before it gets here. Its irresponsible. We need to bring BACK those jobs so the people canwork before we spend more on wants. *cont*

Answer by gemgem at 4:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I hope that makes any sense because as much as anyone else there are alot of things ID LIKE to see the US do but there isnt alot of money to do it with. We need to pay off the debt as much as possible before we start going and spending things on our wants and ideals.

Answer by gemgem at 4:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I think Nebraska Senator Johanns summed it up rather nicely during the HR1 debate - it's sitting the entire congress down, breaking off into groups that have nothing to do with party, and each group taking a part of the budget, cutting costs until it balances, and then when you're done, seeing if you can afford to spend anything.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Um........the whole stimulus bill was to get people back to WORK, and we cant make things like we did in the past. There isn't any products that make America truly us (they all went to other countries) and we are in a revolutionary sort of times.
    So investing in a Going Green is a smart thing to do. We will pave the way on that for the rest of the world, like we did in our industrial times and with cars, etc.

These things are needed to help us right now, just because you see them as wants doesn't make it true.
    Anonymous

• I think we all can agree that there are plenty of projects in the spendulus that aren't really an argument for employment.

IMO, pretty much everything this administration is doing goes against all rules of logic. When I don't have much money, I don't go spend what I don't have in the hopes that it turns into gold.

I can't help but think that if Bush were proposing this stimulus that their would be a lynch mob in DC within minutes of announcing it. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009