STRAY PREGNANT CAT!

So... a stray cat adopted us ...and she's pregnant! We've taken her to the vet and they have put off any vaccines or anything until her kittens are born. They estimated she has about 2 weeks left. Any advice or good reading on whelping kittens?

babycakes254

Asked by babycakes254 at 4:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pets

• This one is easy b/c she will know what to do. It's natural for them. Now when they're around 4 wks of age you might want to intorduce soft food to the kittens to start wheening them.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• yeah puppies and kittens really aren't that hard. they need very little human intervention normally. Cats especially.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I only give this advice becuase it happen to me. I had a female who got pregnant. She will normally care for the kittens on her own. But..... if she happens to want you to take care of them, like always wanting you to be there with her and the kittens. Then the kittens are ill or have a birth defect. She knows that they are going to die soon so she will let someone else care for them. Her first batch had this problem from the time they were born she would not let me leave, it was crazy. I ended up doing my best but they died three weeks later. I was heart broken. Then the second litter was fine she never left and took great care with them.So I should be easy. But just in case this does happen you will know what is going on. Good luck with your new babies.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Just give her a box lined with a couple of old towels or a piece of old blanket, set in a warm, draft-free corner out of the line of travel in a dim, quiet room and put her in it several times a day. If it has a lid over part of it or all of it the better, as long as she can get in and out easy. It will be a safe place for her to have her kittens. Make sure you have a litterbox and her food and water (not together) but not too far from the nursery box. Maybe the litterbox on one side and the food and water on the other. She will probably know what to do and do fine. She may want you to reach in the birthing box and lightly pet her between kittens, and talk to her softly during the intervals. You can also watch and after she cleans each kitten you can help her position it where it can easily suckle. Don't let a bunch of people handle the kittens for the first week or so.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I have so many stories about how I am famous for taking in pregnant cats. Trust me they know what to do! She may just want 2 things from you.
    1. Some place safe and private for her to give birth (line the box or basket cause there will be blood she will eat the after birth).
    2. IF and this happened to me, IF the umbelical cord gets tangled around the neck pf a kitten she may not know what to do and just let it die. Have some scissors ready.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• thanks for all of the advice everyone. We just moved into a new house..we have an enormous bathroom in our bedroom and there is a little place under the sink (it looks like a chair can be put there) and I'm putting her nursery box there, its quiet, in our bedroom...I'm nervous about it...I don't know why I just am lol. As for the scissors...just regular scissors?
    But other than that, basically I do not interfere other than observing and letting her know I'm near unless there is a need for immediate help.
    Also our vet knows about the situation, we saw him today, so in case there is an emergency she will be taken care (hope there wont!)
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• good luck!! post the pics so we all can see!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:21 AM on Mar. 1, 2009