Are any of you a part of a CSA?

This is where you pay for a share of fruits and vegetables from local farms, and you get a box of fruits and vegetables from that farm every week. I think one of the biggest ones is www.localharvest.org. I was thinking of joining because our family of 5 eats tons of fruits and vegetables and fresh herbs and such, but I am not sure if it is really worth it. If you are a part of one, how much food do you get and how much do you pay? Is there a wide variety in what you get? Thanks.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We are doing it this year. It's $500 dollars for a full share and $250 for a partial share. It's a great way to support local farms and I LOVE that my kids know their food doesn't come from the grocery store.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 4:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yeah we were looking at doing the $250 one, which ends up being like $25 a week or something like that. How much food do you get with yours? I looked into one that wasn't through localharvest, and found out that since Washington had such a rough winter, this place was importing their vegetables and fruits from Mexico and giving them out in CSA shares! Does Local Harvest do this?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I just go to our local farmstand and fill up. the prices are good. I've never heard of this, but thanks April, I'm going to check it out!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2009