What are some words I can start to teach my nearly 4 year old?

My DD is going to be 4 in April she is very bright and she loves to learn. She likes me doing things with her like activity books and things. She learned how to spell Red from a 5 year old friend of hers and if she can learn to spell Red I think she can learn other 3 letter words. What are some other words I can teach her to spell???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i practice the dr seuss books with my daughter..their easy, and they somewhat rhyme..but theyre all short words
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Cat, Dog, Hot, etc... Our Daughter started spelling at age four as well and now at age six is spelling multi sylable words with NO problem at all and she sounds them out herself.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Mom, Dad, Ball, Pot, no, yes, see
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• start whith small words like wods she would use all the time or small words she says

mom dad yes no ball hat cat
    at worlds are rilly good ones to start whith at least thats what i have heard
    youngmmom

Answer by youngmmom at 7:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You can also go the word family route: cat, hat, mat, rat, etc. and tie it in with StarFall etc.
    Also teach her her DOLCH words, not necessarily how to spell them but how to sight read them.
    Reading is more important than spelling, can't tell you how many kids I've seen that can SPELL a word but have little to no idea on how to read it or what it means much less use it correctly.
    Good luck. It sounds like you have a very bright wonderful little girl.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i know preschool teacher teach the kids how to read and write their first name. and yes teach the reading and abc's first spelling and writing will come a lot easier if they know what they are looking at
    ladyheather900

Answer by ladyheather900 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 26, 2009