new to this site..a common ? I'm sure...how do you know when your child is ready to be left alone for a few hours??

hollyone

Asked by hollyone at 5:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Call social services and ask them. Every state has different laws relating to when its legal to do so. Some dont. But in order to not get you into any trouble should something happen Id start there.

Answer by gemgem at 5:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• This site lists legal age restrictions for children left at home alone categorized by state within the U.S. http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

The National SAFEKIDS Campaign recommends that no child under the age of 12 be left at home alone. 

And I agree.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 6:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Our son has been staying home for an hour or two at a time about once a month since he was 11. I think its a personal decision, not one the state can make for you.. We have 2 large dogs, he's very responsibile, we have rules set, and we never go more than 10 miles away. It's nice to have a dinner/date night with my hubby once in a while. We never go out drinking, partying, just a movie, or dinner...
    Anonymous

• I had my children take a class "staying home alone" I think it was offered through a hospitol...but maybe some of the school districts might offer. It was very informative and include alot of safety issues that a parent might not even think of. We do offer a staying home alone book on our site www.cjkidz.com (under the CJKidz Favorite Things, then click the Parents Favorite thing) or use this link http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=6&page=6
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Whew. Tough one, usually they say age 13, but I guess that would depend on where u live, and the maturity level.
    miranda2001

Answer by miranda2001 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2009