Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does this sound like a c-section waiting to happen or am i just worring

ok 40 weeks and 3 days pregnant
i got a doc appt tomorrow for a non-stress test and stuff
my doc says my cervix is just not wanting to efface dilate or even soften
but he says that he is gonna induce me on friday or saturday if nothing has changed
cuz it could be harming the baby or something
well iv heard some girl on here say that most first times mom
that are dilated or effacing and get induced
end up geting a c-section
so does it sound like ifi let him induce i will end up getting one?????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (8)
  • I had some problems pop up and had to be induced at 39 weeks. The dr told me straight out that it would be a 75% chance that it would end in c-section. I got really nervous but I remembered there was a 25% chance there and I was able to squeeze my little guy out without needing one :-D. You really dont know what is going to happen until the time comes. Just try to relax :).

    Answer by LadyKiki at 5:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • If you are induce make sure they give you the cervical softener the day before.

    Answer by Farrahann at 5:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • It doesn't always mean a C-section.

    I was induced and needed a C-section with my first DD. But I wasn't induced, went into labor naturally and STILL needed a C-section with my youngest DD (I didn't efface with my oldest and wasn't dialated at all when I was induced, and with my youngest I was 75% effaced and 1 cm dialated when I went into labor). Come to find out, my hip bones are too narrow for the 'delivery' part of 'labor and delivery'. So I'll always need a C-section.

    Just go in for the tests, and, although I know you'd rather NOT have a C-section, keep an open mind about the options you're given. After all, its about getting your baby here SAFELY, right...even if that means pulling your baby out of a nostril. :)

    Answer by .Peaches. at 5:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • At 41 weeks, your chances for ending up with a c-section if you are induced are 40%. I would avoid it. Many babies just need a little more time. And many moms don't dilate or efface at all until they go into labor. Then bam! it all happens at once and their baby is here within 12 hours. In countries where they don't induce so often ( and here before they went crazy with induction), the average pregnancy length for a first time mom was 41 weeks 1 day. That's AVERAGE, so many did and do go longer. In fact, a normal pregnancy is classified as anywhere from 38 to 42 weeks. A baby is not in danger just from going longer than 41 weeks. I would delay the induction for at least another week, if not indefinitely. Your baby will come when he/she is ready. Although I know how hard it can be to wait.

    Answer by tyrelsmom at 5:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Technically you aren't overdue till 42 weeks, from your post i see no reason why you should be induced. 40% of inductions end up in c-section anyway, you don't have to be induced if you don't want to!
    Its your body, you have to make a decision..if i were you i would not go for the induction for now, you wont be overdue till after 42 weeks!

    Answer by Cynthje at 6:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • that's what happened to me, so, ask your doctor if you can go to 41.5 to 42 weeks pregnant (for an induction), if you don't go into labor on your own before then. my baby was still up high and i was not dialated at 40 w & 3 d pregnant and the doc induced me with cervical gel (which caused me the worse pain, it's suppose to thin/soften the cervix and got an epidural which only worked for 45 minutes and caused my bb to go down and my baby's hr to drop, it slowed me down so I got pitocin (my contractions were strong and close together, but they wanted to regulate it more) and I only got to 4cm and my baby was still at -2 station and after 16 hours was told I needed a c-section for failure to progress, not an emergency. But, I feel if I knew what I know now back then...I would have said I would wait for my body to go into labor on it's own. I've researched that you should be at least 1 to 2 cm dialated or your water has to b

    Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • reak to get induced. Now that I'm more educated in childbirth...I am planning a VBAC in May and hope I will be successful and have a healthy baby with no complications to me or the baby. C-sections are so traumatic especially if you're not expecting or planning on it. It takes longer to heal and is just very hard. I just don't want to be cut up again. So, good luck to you. Hope your body does what it has to do and soon!

    Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • Don't get induced! Why trust your body not the doctor.

    Answer by EmbracingBirth at 9:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.