What do you think you would do? C-Section question.

I'm due in April with a baby that may have some problems with her heart. Her pulmonary artery is a little small and twisted, She has enlarged echogenic kidneys and a single umbilical artery.

I has a c-section with my last DD but looking back it was pretty much a c-section of convenience and not really an emergency (just take my word for it). I have been approved for a VBAC and really REALLY don't want to have another C/S if I can avoid it.

I'm afraid with all these things "wrong" with the baby that she might not tolerate labor well and I'll end up with another unplanned c-section which for me, would be more traumatic than a planned C/S.

I want to do what is best for my baby. There is nothing noble in my wanting an all natural birth, it is purely driven out of fear of a repeat C/S.

So what would you do in my situation? Half my doctors say not to worry, the others have been trying to bully me in to a repeat from day one.

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 5:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hm, that's tricky.

I had an emergency C-section with my oldest DD, and was approved for a VBAC with my youngest DD. I was in back labor, and suddenly changed my mind- I just couldn't see going through 19 1/2 hours of labor AGAIN, only to end up in the OR AGAIN. So I just opted for the C-section, and I'm glad I did, because later examination showed that my hip bones are too narrow to deliver, so I would've ended up right back in the OR.

I'd say that if you've been approved for a VBAC and your doctor's think you can handle it, then give it a shot. As long as you don't eat anything the morning you go into labor, you ALWAYS have the option of saying "I want the C-section instead". By the way, an uplanned C-section doesn't have to be 'traumatic'. Mine was just fine.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 5:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Do what you think is right for you and baby, but it sounds to me like a c/s would be best for your baby. Vaginal deliveries are all that trust me they suck
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• you have to do whats right for you but i will say this much because you are trying for a vbac there is always a chance of a c section anyway and its higher in your case. I to had a c section with my first due to him not tolerating labor well this time around im trying for a vbac my dr is all for it but does want me to relize that a c section is a possiblity at all times.
    Honestly if they thought my baby was going to have these problems at birth i think i would go c section because i wouldnt wana put my baby under anymore stress then need be. and labor is stressfull on a baby. But this is your choice and your baby and you have to do whats right for you and your husband.
    Anonymous

• The doctors have to worry if they don't strongly suggest a c-section and something (God forbid) goes wrong, that they will be blamed and sued.

Personally, if it were me, I'd get the c-section just because I think it would be less stressful for the baby to be delivered that way.
    *hugs*
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Thanks for the replies. My last c-section was really traumatic mainly due to an idiot anesthesiologist. I just can't stand the thought of another needle in my back or having to feel someone cutting away at me again.

This is such a tough decision for me because the doctors are so split. It seems like all the women docs are for the VBAC and the men are for the repeat lol.

Thanks for the input :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would try for the VBAC! Don't let them give you pitocin or any other labor inducing or augmenting drug. You might be surprised just how well your little baby does during the birth, and how well you do as well. Don't let them strip or rupture you membranes, and don't let them inject you with anything without your consent. Do things naturally and you will feel much more satisfied with your birth experience.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would say go for the VBAC, and be mentally prepared for a c-section if she's not tolerating it well. The docs that have been saying c-section since day one are those anti-VBAC docs, and it sounds like they would've said that, regardless of any condition your daughter-to-be has.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2009