Obama says part of the educational experience falls on the parents... Do you agree?

Because, I sure do.. Trouble is, it's kind of scary thinking about some parents' values and morals.. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• He said parents as well as teachers and yes, I agree. I have a teenager and a daughter going into kinder this year and it's always been my job to get them excited about education and teach them as much as i can. I don't think it should fall only on the shoulders of teachers but some parents are lazy as hell and don't do anything with their kids.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 5:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Of course. Thats why I homeschool one of my sons. I dont think the schools are equipped to handle all the kids they have and some with special needs. I dont worry about other peoples moral values as much as I do those of the teachers my kids are learning from.

Answer by gemgem at 5:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I completely agree.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• One of the few times he said something that makes sense.
    Anonymous

• We homeschool too, but I think every parent should have a positive influence on their kids education. Although not every parent may know the answers, they can at least encourage their kids to not give up and help them see the importance of a good educational career. I think it's all too often that kids form an "us against them" attitude.
    Anonymous

• Did he come up with that all by himself? Or did someone throw that onto the teleprompter?
    Anonymous

• I think education starts and continues at home. I just don't want the government telling me I have to teach my kids to believe or not believe certain things.
    In other words, keep it to the basics in school and leave the religion and sex ed to the parents.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes, it does. A very large part. This is one of the main reasons that schools in certain areas don't do as well as others. A lack of parent involvment.
    Anonymous

• There's little about Obama's policies that I've agreed with to date but I *DO* agree with this statement. My kids do/will attend public school; however, it's my job as their parent to provide them with learning opportunities outside the classroom as well as to work *WITH* their teachers as a partner in the school experience. We've been "learning" together at home from the get-go and the fact that they head off to school now doesn't change that. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• YES YES YES you don't get to just hand them over to the system and *quit*!! So many act as if this is the plan!!! As long as my kids are mine! they will be learning at home, in the car, in the grocery store etc
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009