Has anyone taken narcotics for an extended period of time while breastfeeding?

Has anyone taken narcotics (percocet, vicodin, codiene) for longer than 2 weeks while breastfeeding? Did your baby suffer withdrawal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• um no way
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I was on percocet for a long while after my c-section. My DD never seemed affected by it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Since my son was born I have had a grand total of 4 Tylenol. Maybe it's just me but I would suffer through the worst pain of my life to avoid having my baby addicted to drugs.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 6:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• How long after your csection?
    Anonymous

• I want to say 2 weeks at full strength which I believe was every 4 hours and then another 2 weeks or so as needed.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Both Codeine and Morphine are on the AAP list of medications approved for use in breastfeeding mothers. You can see a partial list of approved meds at http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html I have a friend who was on morphine for quite a while after one of her babies and he had no adverse effects.

If you need the meds then take them, and know that it is better for baby to be breastfed with mom taking a narcotic than for baby to be formula fed.  The benefits far outweight the risks.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Thank you maggiemom! I was wondering this same thing because I'm having my wisdom teeth extracted next week and they're going to put me on vicoden and he said I would NEED it for the procedure I'm having....great resource!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2009