To spank or not to spank?

My boyfriend and I disagree about spanking. What are you views about spanking? Do you spank? Would you spank? Why or Why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Whatever, do what ya want.
    Anonymous

• I was never spanked and I dont spank. I think there are plenty of other ways to discipline a child then raising your hand to them for any reason. Its also reinforcing the wrong message in my opinion.

Answer by gemgem at 6:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• We spank on the bottom with an open hand and only over a diaper/ diaper and pants and only a couple of swats.

We spank very rarely, and only as a last resort to get important concepts across. (like running away when called)

My son is two and I bet he's been spanked three times.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Absolutely I would spank and did spank and my kids came out just fine. I have 3 kids and I have 2 siblings and my mom spanked and we all turned out just fine. Thats the whole problem these days, they have taken away too many rights as parents to keep control of our children yet when they run out and do something wrong, the parent is the first to blame. Pisses me off!!!! However there is suposedly a right way and a wrong way to spank. Don't ask me about that one, couldn't tell ya but there are plenty of books and info on the internet.
    Anonymous

• spare the rod spoil the child is what I have always sad.. Yes we spank but there is a HUGE difference between spanking your child on the bottom and beating them!
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon 6:20, I often heard this quote as a child (and even into my teenage years), so I'm a firm believer in spanking. But spanking is only one form of discipline, and shouldn't be used as the ONLY form of discipline.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• All forms of hitting/spanking are considered child abuse where I live (Ireland), and I have to agree with it. I was never spanked, nether were any of my friends, or anyone I know nowherdays, and I will never spank.

If a parent were to swat their chld in the supermarket here - they would get an ear-full from several by-standers. It's not acceptable, and I'm glad.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I don't believe in spanking.
    I do it ... hahaha!

Discipline educates ... if you feel your child doesn't
    learn by spanking, there are other ways to discipline
    your child.

I was 14 when I was grounded FROM my room
    for 2 weeks. It was horrible, I couldn't pick out my own
    clothes for school, couldn't put on my makeup,
    couldn't sleep in my own bed ... and of course my
    mom picked out hideous clothes for me to wear.
    It was humiliating, but I learned haha.
    lilmizzie27

Answer by lilmizzie27 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• We do spank, usually it's her choice. She knows when she isn't supposed to be doing something and she does it anyway, time out worked for about a minute and then she thought it was a joke. Now she knows, "if I don't take a time out, I'm getting a spanking" and then she still has to do her time out.
    Anonymous

• I am pro-spanking! We use it as a last resort. If telling them once doesn't work, and time-out doesn't work, taking something away doesn't work, then a spanking will. It doesn't work for all parents/kids but for us and our's it does. I'm sure moms will bash me for spanking, but that's ok. I don't tell them what does and doesn't work for their kids so they shouldn't with mine.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 8:13 PM on Feb. 25, 2009