Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do become a tribe member?

I believe my great great grandfather is full blooded Cherokee indian, and I have no Idea where to go or what to do to find out my lineage or get involved in a Tribe or anything like that. I don't know his name or anything, I am only going off rumor of my family.I have money for a blood test but I don't really know how much it would cost. Also I would like to go ahead and get my son involved in a tribe while I'm at it. If you saw a picture of us you could REALLY tell that we are part Native American. I just don't know where to start.

Answer Question

Asked by tadpole37766 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Wow interesting question.

    I live in Oregon and the federated tribes have stuff all over. I think there must be some place where registering goes on. Maybe look in the front of your local phone book at services?

    Answer by timelessglass at 6:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • I bet there is some type of native american organization you could look up online. I would start there.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 6:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Well, I know there's some sort of blood testing you can do that can actually break down your heritage by race. I know quite a few people who have had it done and have been rather suprised by the results.

    I have to go look up info on it. I'll either post it here or shoot you a message.

    BTW, I've had the same question for a few years now. My mom's side of the family has Blackfoot Indian, but, like you, no names.

    Answer by .Peaches. at 6:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • My dad's brother did some serious investigating of our family's heritage and found documentation that proves that we have enough American Indian blood to legally qualify us for "minority" status in applying for government jobs if we want. It really helped my brother get hired in the Fire Department when they had quotas to fill. But it took my uncle nearly three years to do it and I don't know what all his sources were. I just know it was a LOT of work.

    Answer by jburg2541 at 7:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • I am a member of the Echota tribe, call the Madison Co School system in Alabama. They can help you trace it maybe. Ask for the Indian Ed Dept. Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Peaches - Hello sister! I am also of Blackfoot lineage on my father's side. My grandmother has given me photos and names as far back as she can remember of our family. Her full-blooded Blackfoot grandfather married her English grandmother. She carries the English looks in the family while my father, uncle, brother, and I carry the Blackfoot looks. I carry less of the looks and more of my mother's Scottish looks. Odd combination, but you should see the tempers that flare!'s like a fireworks display around here with the two lineages mixed...LOL. I hope you are able to find names eventually.

    OP - best wishes with your search!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • Thanks guys!!! I finaly found a Historics society that is going to help me find names. So that is great. I still don't know where to get a blood test or how much it costs, but I'm looking.

    Answer by tadpole37766 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • Found out how much it costs for a blood test. 300. a lot but it is totally worth it in my book.

    Answer by tadpole37766 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • I don't know if you're still looking into this but contacting the Cherokee government offices on the reservation would be a good place. My son's tribe actually has an Enrollment Department. They would be able to tell you what you need to prove eligibility.

    Answer by IndyGemini at 2:29 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.