breastfeeding

i just had my baby and im having a horrible time breastfeeding i dont want to stop because i never did it with my oldest and i like to do it but im having so much trouble and ive already started to dry my milk because i feel like i cant handle it i need some encourage or tips to help me because i really dont want to quit

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, what are you having trouble with?
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 6:41 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• You need your local Le Leche (sp?) to help you. Call the hospital for info.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• What exactly is wrong? Is it your baby latching on? Do you feel like you have no milk?
    I would call a lactition..get the number online or call your hospital for one.
    And join the Breastfeeding moms group...there is so much support there.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I had a tough time to start too... it hurt rrreeeaaalllyyy bad but everyone kept telling me baby was latched fine. I discovered if i closed my eyes and counted to 10 when my son latched, the pain was usualy better by the time i was done counting and eventually we got through it. If the pain was still unbearable, we would try latching on again.
    briseno7282

Answer by briseno7282 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• he latches on fine its the pain and its like he is no getting enough every time we go through a feeding he will stay on for 30 mins and then is still hungry.. what is la leche.. ill try and find the website and thats a good idea about the support group i never thought about that
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Do you feed him for 20 minutes and then 20 minutes on the other? This will ensure that he gets foremilk and the fatty hindmilk...you want him to empty both breasts and it takes about that time to do it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• The latch should not be painful you probably need to get him on deeper. For a ggod description and pictures go to: http://drjacknewman.com/help/When%20Latching.asp

In the first few week sit can seem like baby is breastfeeding all the time!  this will help you to figure out if he is getting enough milk:  http://drjacknewman.com/help/Is%20My%20Baby%20Getting%20Enough%20Milk.asp

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• The absolute best thing you can do if you are struggling with breastfeeding is to spend lots of time in skin to skin contact with your baby. Get in bed with baby for the whole day, you bare from the waist up, and baby in only a diaper. Let him sleep on your bare chest and nurse as much as possible, even if it is a few minutes here, then again only a few minutes later.
    Many mothers have found skin-to-skin is the absolute best tool we have for increasing milk supply and getting babies to nurse really well. Spending as much time as you possibly can with you undressed from the waist up and your baby undressed except for a diaper, just letting him sleep in your arms against your skin until he wakes and wants to nurse, will help so much. It organizes baby's suck and it stimulates your milk supply. Skin-to-skin contact also keeps your baby warm and secure and helps him use all his energy to grow.
    go to llli.org
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• breastfeeding.com

They have a forum where you can talk to a lactation consultant for free, and many many moms breastfeeding or who have breastfed.  I would suggest lanolin, and most newborns nurse literally all the time.  You are lucky to get a trip to the potty without baby screaming, but that is what stimulates more milk production.  Do diaper count to see if babe is getting enough.  6-8 wets a day once past 6 days old.  Before 6 days it is one wet for each day of life.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• totally agree with contacting La Leche. I was at my wits end one day & they were fantastic. I ended up feeding my son for 4 months. So great - & free :))
    alexw12

Answer by alexw12 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 25, 2009