How can a doctor detect down syndrome with a level 2 ultrasound?

lkib01

Asked by lkib01 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure what a level 2 US is, but I know they can do measurements on a regular ultrasound that may point to down syndrome but I think maybe you need a blood test to be sure??? I think they test for it during your quad screening.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• i think they can detect it with the test they do with the needle in the belly button
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• It is not 100%, but can be used as a screening tool. There are certain (very technical and specific) things that, if noticed, can indicate a higher chance of Down's Syndrome. Mostly anatomical stuff, its not something you or I would notice, but something that a highly trained eye would have to find. Here's a link to more info:
    http://www.geocities.com/wilsfordmindy/ultrasound.html
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 6:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I read that they can measure the length of the baby's neck.. to see if they could have down syndrome? But I know that they do blood screens as well to check for this. I didn't have the testings done, because if I were to have a special child... I wouldn't change my pregnancy either way!
    Anonymous