BFing ?

I have been given estrogen cream by my OB to relieve some problems (long complicated story). However, it says I shouldn't use if BFing. Anyone use this while BFing? I think it is odd that he gave this to me when he told flat out he wouldn't give me script for regular BC because you aren't suppose to take estrogen while BFing. I tried looking it up on kellymom but couldn't find anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you give me the name of it I can look it up in Dr Hale's book.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I found this:

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/menstruation.htm

It says that Estrace and Estratab have been approved by the American Association of Pediatrics to be okay to use while breastfeeding, but that estrogen therapy can cause milk supply issues.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• POSTER HERE: It is Premarin that I was given.
    Anonymous

• Everything that I found about Premarin and breastfeeding seems to be inconclusive. But it's a topical cream, right? If so, I can't imagine that it could cause too much harm to your baby. I would call your baby's pediatrician and ask. I did find something that said that the benefits of breastfeeding while using Premarin still outweigh formula feeding.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 12:18 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• A topical cream shouldn't be too terrible. Estrogen can cause supply issues. And package inserts try to cover their bases by telling you not to use while pregnant or breastfeeding. A mod on one of the breastfeeding groups says she quit paying attention to package inserts when her prenatal vitamins said they shouldn't be taken while pregnant.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 8:29 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Dr. Hale says L3, Maternal medication usually compatible with breastfeeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 26, 2009