Starting baby food ..

When did you start baby food with your little one(s)?
What kind did you use first? (like veggies or fruits)

And how did you do it? I've heard only introduce one food for a week.. so on and so on..

Any info or advice is welcome!! Thanks.

GA_GiRL0920

Asked by GA_GiRL0920 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my DD I started baby food around 4 months and with my SO I started around 5 months I gave them rice cereal.

when my kids were just getting into solids I was told wait 4 days after you introduce a food before you introduce another one. Just to see if they are allergic to it.

Good Luck
    Anonymous

• i followed my doctors instructions even though others told me not to and i am happy with how this is going. 4 months we started cereal. 6 months we started baby food. we started with veggies because i knew with all the sugar that is naturally in fruit she would learn to love that stuff without much help. i wanted her to like the veggies before she liked the other stuff.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/startingsolidfood-schedule.htm

This is a perfect chart for you. I'm going to start following this with my 5 month old dd. You shouldnt even give your baby fruit before 8 months due to the sugar. But check this chart out.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Paediatricians like to say introduce when the baby is twice its birth weight (different for preemies though). I started my son a little earlier b/c he was ready....you can tell - he'll be interested in the food you eat - he'll be starting to sit up & have good head & neck control. Gerber sells wonderful organic food - start with the Stage 1. Always feed the food after the bottle b/c when they're little it's important they get the nutrients from their milk not the food. I can share my feeding plan with you if you email me at alex.warner@nokia.com.
    alexw12

Answer by alexw12 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I started my dd about a week after she turned six months. She's exclusively breastfed, and we started with bananas because it's sweet like the breastmilk that she's used to. :)

wholesomebabyfood.com is a WONDERFUL resource.

And yes, you should have some time in between introducing foods so that if an allergic reaction may occur, you'll know what caused it. A week seems a little long- I do 2-3 days.

Don't stress it too much- babies don't nutritionally need food until they're a year old- their main source of nutrition should be from breastmilk or formula- food is just for fun and practice!

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2009