Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for you mommas in school

I have to ask how old are you? how much longer do you have? but most importantly how do you do it all? especially how in the world do you afford/pay for it. I really wanna go back to school and do something probably not full time right away only because i have very little money....any advice from you mommas who have already done it or are doing it?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • im asking about money because my parents cant/wont help me pay if i go back to school

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • well i'm 38, married 17 years and have 2 children. I am in school Mon-thurs from 5:40pm-10. I'm only going for a certificate so I only have a couple of more months to go. I got a student loan for my tutiion. IF you qualify, you can get grants that you don't have to pay back. Sometimes an associates degree can be completely paid for by grants, best of luck

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 7:12 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • I'm 22, married, 1 kiddo and two step-kiddos, I'm about half way done with my bachleors in psychology and after that I intend to get my MBA. I fill out the FAFSA every year, even when DH and I both work I qualify for pell grants and some loans. I usually only accept the Pell and a subsidzed loan and it covers my tution and books with a very little bit left over.

    Answer by kexley28 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • I am 24, married, one child and I have one year left with my bachelors in psychology. I will also be going on after that to get my masters. I think it is well worth it, even when you never feel like you have a moment to rest. I get a pell grant and loans. You just need to fill out a Fafsa at It is pretty simple to do.

    Answer by IzzeAddy at 8:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • I'm 26, married with one special need child, I go to school pt and work pt. I'm a jurior, but I can only go pt so I still got a few years. My husband works at the college as a bus driver, so I don't have to pay tution but still pay for books and other fees. It cost about $300 bucks a semster this way.
    Some private colleges pay tution for you and your dependents if you work there after a year. You might want to see if you can get a job at one as a cafetia worker, janitor, securtiy guard. shuttle driver etc.
    You'll get some money, insurance. and have your classes paid for. It works out great for us.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

  • I am 42 and finishing my 2nd Associate's degree. The first was in Medical Assisting back in 1999 and this one is specialized in Medical Billing and Coding. I lost my job in December so I have more time to concentrate on my studies. I have 2 teen girls in high school and a 20 year old daughter living at home with her newborn daughter (my first grandchild!) that I need to help with a lot. I, too, fill out the FAFSA application each school year and receive a grant and loans. I also receive a 20% military spouse discount through my college.
    The loans do not need to be start being paid upon until 6 months after you finish college. If you still cannot afford the payments then you can apply for a deferrment. You can also apply for an income contingent loan. Be sure to obtain a degree in a secure and growing occupation.
    Best wishes!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
Stretch Marks