How do you teach a cat to stop peeing on the laundry??

cmarielin

Asked by cmarielin at 7:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Wow, I just answered your dog question.
    Bad day for animals in your house. ;-)

If it's a male, he could be marking his territory (he smells family on the laundry) so if he's not fixed get him done.

If it's a fixed male or a female, it could be a sign of stress because of a bladder infection, doesn't like the location of the litter box, the litter brand, etc. You need to do a little trial and error inspection to figure it out.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I put my laundry in the closet and shut the door. . Problem solved.
    Anonymous

• Is the cat male? If so, is he neutered??

Well, I've read all over the internet that it's not good to discipline the cat for peeing on clothes, because it'll just stress it out more, and make things worse.

Make sure you wash the clothes right away, and thoroughly. If the cat can still smell the pee on the clothes, it'll go back and pee on them again. (Vinegar and baking soda are best)

Other than that, it might be best to just keep any laundry out of his/her reach...
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My cat is silly. If my son has nelgected to clean out her litter box for longer than she likes she'll get right beside you somewhere let out a yowl and pee on the floor. Luckily we don't have any carpet. so it's no biggie. I just think it is funny it's almost like she is punishing us for not doing our responsibility to her.
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Get a laundry basket with a lid
    SnoWhiteImages

Answer by SnoWhiteImages at 5:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Im going through the same this with our cat. We are getting him fixed right away!!!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 12:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Our male cat (neutered) started peeing on our laundry, he was meowing and making strange noises and licking himself a lot, we took him to the vet and he had a serious UTI, with crystals in his urine. The vet said if we had waited another couple days he could have died. We have to feed him special cat food now but he’s fine. We just brushed off the other symptoms and normal behavior at first. So you might want to make sure there’s not a more serious issue.
    Bear777

Answer by Bear777 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• hi for starts make sure your cleaning out the box on a regular basis and that the litter is do its job to fight odor. ( my cats will find other places to pee if the box is not clean enough ) also make sure that if you are exposed to other animals you place the clothes you are wearing up because if they smell another animal they wil mark the teritory to say you belong to them.
    i find the best solution to remove the smell of cat urine is " fabreeze for Laundry" it is a miracle worker and almost always does the job.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:17 AM on Mar. 1, 2009