Do you understand the U.S. Constitution?

I found some videos of a really good teacher discussing it and breaking it down in this group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/35896

It's been very helpful. :-)

cmarielin

Asked by cmarielin at 7:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think I do, pretty well. And we are royally screwing it up!!

My kids (homeschooled) are all required to take a Constitutional Law class before they graduate. I figure at least my 8 will have some understanding of how it's supposed to be!!!
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 7:07 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• no and i dont care to learn about it anyways
    Anonymous

• Reading the posts here on CafeMom the last few months, I doubt there are very many who know the first thing about the constitution. I was debating the 2nd ammendment with a young lady here who said, (with all serousness) "You can't just let everybody who is over 18 and hasn't been convicted of a crime or been mentally ill have a GUN if they want it" Well, my dear, I didn't say it, the second ammendment to the U.S. Constitution says it.... Her statement was about the second ammendment, but I have seen equally clueless remarks about each of the ammendments on here.
    Anonymous

You voted for Obama didn't you?

Anonymous

• nope I didnt vote at all, I am from canada but I am a legal resident of the US... quick to assume aren't you?
    Anonymous

• I understand the Constitution. A better question, i mo, is Do you know how certain members of the Supreme Court Interpret the Constitution?

But thanks for sharing the link.  I hope it is used as an educational moment on here...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Did I vote for Obama? I didn't, actually. sorry. It was nothing personal against him or anyone who did vote for him, just not who I voted for.
    And...what would I be assuming? I'm just asking if people understand the Constitution. Not assuming anything, promise.
    cmarielin

Answer by cmarielin at 7:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

You voted for Obama didn't you?

nope I didnt vote at all, I am from canada but I am a legal resident of the US... quick to assume aren't you?

That was my response, she was assuming because I dont care to learn about it that i voted for obama. I know its hard to tell one anon from another
    Anonymous

• yes I do... sadly there are a lot of people that don't.. and grlygrlz2 I have to agree..
    but there are people I know that don't even know how many states there are, or who certain presidents were during major wars.. etc. It's pretty sad.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Yes, I believe I do. We are regularly checking
    our school curriculum on this matter. Our country is
    going so far away from it, that we are watching everything the
    public school is teaching.
    Annetteg

Answer by Annetteg at 7:30 PM on Feb. 25, 2009