UTIs and wiping issues with 8yr. old SD

My SD has had two or three UTIs in the past year. I had never heard of children getting them until her. Within the past 6 months she has had trouble wiping properly when urinating. she will get red and irritated and we have had to put diaper rash cream on her to take care of it. Also, there have been several occassions where I notice that she definately has an odor. I could smell her when she was sitting beside me a week or so ago and the week before that I could smell her when she was getting in the shower. Her BM keeps telling her to make sure she is wiping front to back, but I don't think that is the problem. I think she might not be wiping well enough to dry herself. and if that isnt the problem I just dont know. I also have had to tell her for at least a year to stop itching herself down there. She has gotten a little better with this, but it is still an issue. What could be causing these problems? How do we fix this?

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• not wiping front to back is a major culprit! From what you said bubble bath is not an issue. How active is she? Just like with a grown woman...after any activity that causes you to perspire......it is suggested to change your underwear. My daughter will be 8 in March and we had a major issue with bladder infections.....so we tossed the bubble bath and finally found out that it was the sugar in her diet. But if she is itching down there and has a smell...I agree....get her to a doctor bc it sounds to me like a yeast infection.
    zellalyn

Answer by zellalyn at 9:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I've heard bubble bath can cause problems. My nine year old niece stopped taking baths because of infections. The smell is infection. She needs to see a doctor.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• My little girl has had several uti's from wiping in the wrong direction. She has also had a yeast infection caused by a bubble bath we were using. she needs to go to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• she gets mainly showers, and when she does take her baths she never has bubble baths at our house. I doubt she has bubble baths at her mom's though....
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• If anyone has an answer I have the same situation! I swear I just read that for my own 9 year old SD.
    Anonymous

• what if the itching is something that she has done for a long time. i mean i have had to remind her at times about it like you would someone about biting their fingernails. this is not something that just happens for short periods of time. it has gone on for at least year. i don't mean constantly, but pretty regularly.

i figure i will call the doctor...i never really thought about a yeast infection. but i am surprised her BM didn't take her to thee doctor lol. she can be over the top over a cough but then not pay attention to things like this. i know i should have probably done something sooner, but i really never thought of an 8 yr. old having these sorts of issues. i only recently had my first yeast infection....lol.

right now she isn't very active - more than gym at school), but soon she will start softball. i will definately watch all of this more closely. thanks again!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2009