UTI and wiping problems with 8yr. old SD

My SD has had two or three UTIs in the past year. I had never heard of children getting them until her. Within the past 6 months she has had trouble wiping properly when urinating. she will get red and irritated and we have had to put diaper rash cream on her to take care of it. Also, there have been several occassions where I notice that she definately has an odor. I could smell her when she was sitting beside me a week or so ago and the week before that I could smell her when she was getting in the shower. Her BM keeps telling her to make sure she is wiping front to back, but I don't think that is the problem. I think she might not be wiping well enough to dry herself. and if that isnt the problem I just dont know. I also have had to tell her for at least a year to stop itching herself down there. She has gotten a little better with this, but it is still an issue. What could be causing these problems? How do we fix this?

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If it is not a urine smell, I would urge BM or dad to take her to the Dr to be checked for other infections, it could be an infection or an allergic reaction.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• Has she been checked for a yeast infection? Yes children her age can get them too. The smell, it is urine or something else, soaps with heavy fragrances and washing powders can also cause irritation. How often does she bathe?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• she gets a bath or shower (her this last week or so more showers) every other day. for the longest time she used the kid soap and shampoo. but for the last year or so has been using my shampoo and conditioner. i am not sure if she is using my soap or the kids soap. she wants to be more grown up so i think she is using mine.

the smell is not urine or at least it doesn't smell like urine.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• let her get into the habbit of taking off her underwear when she goes to bed dont sleep with unerwear....diffrent pjs every day...clean underwear in the am
    ps could it be irritation from laundry detergent?
    ccmj

Answer by ccmj at 9:15 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• we try to make sure she changes her underwear every day and she always wears different pjs if any...

we use the same kinds of detergents as always. she doesn't always get the irritation. i have never actually seen it because she didn't tell me about it. she told her mom and her mom looked cleaned her really well and then put cream on her. the next day after her bath, i put more cream on her, but didn't look really because i knew she was uncomfortable. she was uncomfortable with her mom (her mom told me this) so i didn';t want to make her feel any wierder.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• I would try changing her underwear type
    No baths
    Maybe help her clean down there every night before bed
    Possibly add cranberry juice to her diet
    Have her go to the bathroom more often.. maybe she is holding it too long
    And if she continues to have infections she might need a VCUG done to check for reflux
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2009

• what is VCUG? and what kind of reflux are you talking about?
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Do you happen to have a peribottle? maybe having her rinse off in addition to wiping will help...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• you should also have her doc. check to see if some one isnt doing something to her and it isnt a STD
    Anonymous

• maybe she's going to start her period soon,
    Anonymous